Corker Bottom, where is it?

When I was a nipper (many years ago), my dad took me to Ripon Street,

Attercliffe, to show me where he was born. We then walked towards what is now the parkway to a spot where there were a few isolated terraces of houses. My dad called it the indian village, he also showed me a tip that was steaming and smoking, he said it was burning underground and had been there for years. He referred to the whole area as Corker Bottom.Does anyone remember this place and can tell me it's approximate location in relation to somewhere identifiable?

Its just of Manor lane. My father always told us he went to the Duck Egg school just off Corker Bottom.

Its just of Manor lane. My father always told us he went to the Duck Egg school just off Corker Bottom.

Yes, Corker Bottom Lane is/was where Harborough Avenue meets Manor Lane and where the old Nunnery Colliery tip was.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 15:44 ----------

When I was a nipper (many years ago), my dad took me to Ripon Street,

Attercliffe, to show me where he was born. We then walked towards what is now the parkway to a spot where there were a few isolated terraces of houses. My dad called it the indian village, he also showed me a tip that was steaming and smoking, he said it was burning underground and had been there for years. He referred to the whole area as Corker Bottom.Does anyone remember this place and can tell me it's approximate location in relation to somewhere identifiable?

The only place nicknamed Indian village that I recall, (reason being the gable ends resembled wigwams from afar), with isolated houses sounds like Ranskill Road, that was off Shepcote Lane, demolished to make way for ESC Tinsley Park works.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Corker Bottoms Lane starts where Manor Lane and Harborough Avenue begins. It runs parallel with Harborough Avenue. I used to live opposite. The burning tip was about half way down the lane. There used to be a railway line running from the steel works that dropped of the hot slag from steel making. This is what caused the steam and smoke. In the 1950's before the Parkway was built there were farmers fields and a fishing pond belonging to the Cowlishaws and allotments near a stone quarry. Also along the lane was a large stone built house where 3 different families lived, I can't recall there names.

In the 60's the burning tip was landscaped and levelled off to create football pitches.

I lived on Queen Mary Road Manor Estate 1955 to 1963 & could see the "burning tip" from there. We all called it the burning tip. It was just to the right of Manor Castle ruins that I could also see from our house. In fact I went & "played" with a friend a few times , on the burning tip.  Really we were just poking any bit that smoked with a stick. The smell was of tarmac, tyres, oil , burning vegetables & of course this was how my mum & dad knew where I'd been as it clung to our clothes as evidence.  Got into a bit of trouble for it. 

So direction wise: if you were stood with your back to  Manor castle it would be at  roughly  S2 1WE that would be the northern edge of it and ran eastward from there a few hundred yards. It also ran towards Darnall but how far that way I don't know.