World Cup 2018 thread

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic

12-07-2018, 12:02   #421
Padders

Total Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moon View Post
For this world cup we didn't really invest a lot of hope and expectation in our household this time, which is why the result yesterday isn't really a big deal in our house. I'm looking forward to the final that I hope Croatia will win. I'm going to make a point of not watching the third place playoff though, can't be bothered with that.
Just googled the prize money each team receives, out of curiosity..

Winners..£38 million.
Runners up..£32 million.

3rd place £24 million.

Lets hammer Belgium, show the nation what were capable off, I shall definitely be watching...
12-07-2018, 13:02   #422
jacklev1

Total Posts: 826
Well done England payed well first half my thoughts is we just came up against a
Strong quality side if we look at the teams we have played in this competition
To be honest we’ve played poor sides ,we avoided the best teams this was going to be our best opertunity to get to the final, but still think we were ok been good
Got our country on a high
_______
[B]Friends family first love them and you love life
12-07-2018, 14:00   #423
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
The ref wasn't great in my view.
As a relative football noob, I thought poor refereeing blighted the tournament. All too often players get away with fouls that should be penalised, or are awarded a foul / free kick by way of throwing themselves on the floor, when another player slightly brushes against them.

To my eye, there doesn't seem to be much sportsmanship in football either, for example, all the time wasting tactics when your team is ahead, and you don't want the other side to equalise (like what that French player did towards the end of the France - Beligium game).

The fact that the referee does nothing about this kind of thing, just spoils the game for me. Football would definintely be lot more enjoyable if the standard of refereeing was improved.
12-07-2018, 14:56   #424
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Just googled the prize money each team receives, out of curiosity..

Winners..£38 million.
Runners up..£32 million.

3rd place £24 million.

Lets hammer Belgium, show the nation what were capable off, I shall definitely be watching...
I will be watching too. The match is a consolation prize for the travelling fans of two great teams who got to play in a World Cup semi-final and lost by a solitary goal. No mean achievement for any team. I used to think this game served no purpose but it is totally different when it is your country's team that is playing in it. There will be a packed house for the game and the English and Belgian fans will be cheering just as hard as if was the final, and so will I. Go England!
12-07-2018, 16:39   #425
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post

A tad over-optimistic I think!
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
12-07-2018, 17:05   #426
steve68

Total Posts: 742
Considering all those legends that went home early on, England almost lasting an entire tournament add in Kane is still on for the Golden Boot it's a massive leap from previous years.

Well done the Lads and all those back room staff involved, onwards and upwards.
12-07-2018, 18:01   #427
Bob Arctor

There's a lot of hubris in the Croatian media about how they are going to take France. They'd better hope they're right, pride comes before a fall.
_______

12-07-2018, 19:11   #428
taxman

Total Posts: 20,809
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
There's a lot of hubris in the Croatian media about how they are going to take France. They'd better hope they're right, pride comes before a fall.
I hope Croatia win, because I've got them in the sweepstake at work and am on to win £30, also it would be nice for a new team to win it.

But...I think the French are a stronger, more robust and talented team. They can do anti-football like they did against Belgium and they can turn it on when they want like against Argentina.

I think Croatia have maybe 2 and a half world class players, France maybe 5.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
12-07-2018, 19:23   #429
Padders

Total Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
A tad over-optimistic I think!
Probably, I just want to see more of this England team, I"m not entirely convinced there the done deal, while there achievements have been massive I can"t help thinking that England teams with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc would have gone all the way.. There"s a hell of a lot of hype from the pundits and media about them being hero"s.. Beat a poor Tunisia side with a injury time winner, beat a pub team in Panama, lost to Belgium, beat a good Columbia side and should have won in 90mins, very impressed with that performance, then beat a very poor (on the day) Sweden..as the Croatia game proceeded, Croatia just got better and better, and after the early setback finished up toying with us.. we need a couple of world class finishers and we just have"nt got them, suppose we will have to wait for Euro 2020 to get any answers.
12-07-2018, 20:02   #430
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I hope Croatia win, because I've got them in the sweepstake at work and am on to win £30, also it would be nice for a new team to win it.

But...I think the French are a stronger, more robust and talented team. They can do anti-football like they did against Belgium and they can turn it on when they want like against Argentina.

I think Croatia have maybe 2 and a half world class players, France maybe 5.
That was some bus France parked after going a goal up against Belgium (Mourinho & Son's finest model, an executive double decker). I hope for the sake of those watching that France don't score first, but Croatia have been good at coming from behind, so maybe they'd prefer that.
_______

12-07-2018, 20:18   #431
croat77

Total Posts: 534
England played well. England have a great, young team, and their time is yet to come in the upcoming euro 2020, world cup 2022.
Lost one game, so what? It's football, you win some you lose some. Third place on the world is one big, big achievement.
_______
PSN: Ivan1977UK
13-07-2018, 13:35   #432
Baron99

Total Posts: 420
Quote in today's i newspaper from Scots author, Irvine Welsh.

"If you want MASSIVE achievements, look to the country of 4 million who just beat England."

I think.Mr Welsh has Napoleon Syndrome. It's also a shame that not every country of 4 million people were talented enough to qualify for the tournament.

Not sure if Mr Welsh was born before 1961 when England beat Scotland 9 - 3 but it's clearly embedded in his psychi, along with Culloden it seems?
13-07-2018, 14:24   #433
Ontarian1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron99 View Post
Quote in today's i newspaper from Scots author, Irvine Welsh.

"If you want MASSIVE achievements, look to the country of 4 million who just beat England."

I think.Mr Welsh has Napoleon Syndrome. It's also a shame that not every country of 4 million people were talented enough to qualify for the tournament.

Not sure if Mr Welsh was born before 1961 when England beat Scotland 9 - 3 but it's clearly embedded in his psychi, along with Culloden it seems?
Give him a knighthood, that will calm him down like it did Connery. Perhaps he watched Braveheart last night lol

Last edited by Ontarian1981; 13-07-2018 at 14:29.
13-07-2018, 16:04   #434
Mr Fisk

Total Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat77 View Post
England played well. England have a great, young team, and their time is yet to come in the upcoming euro 2020, world cup 2022.
Lost one game, so what? It's football, you win some you lose some. Third place on the world is one big, big achievement.
May be a great-ish team but needs someone in that midfield that can turn a game/make that crucial pass to carve open the opposition.

Until then, will remain mediocre and resort to their normal long ball and hope for the best mentality.

Up against good teams shows them up.
_______
“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.”
― Albert Einstein
13-07-2018, 17:03   #435
MAC33

Total Posts: 1,206
The facts......

Beat Panama - problem being Panama were a dreadful team and struggled to get out of their half.

Beat Tunisia - A much better team than Panama but still unquestionably average.

Lost to Belguim.

Drew with Colombia over 120 minutes

Beat Sweden - their first good resul against decent opposition.

Lost to Croatia over 120 minutes.

One win,one draw and TWO losses - if you exclude the first two results against opposition that the vast majority agree were not up to playing at a WC.
13-07-2018, 17:08   #436
blake

Total Posts: 2,433
Quote:

I think.Mr Welsh has Napoleon Syndrome.
myth. Napoleon wasn't short. British propaganda tried to make out he was a midget but he wasn't. Napoleon wasn't tall, but he wasn't short either - he was about average height for the time. Over a century later British propaganda repeated itself and also tried to make out Hitler was short, but Hitler wasn't short either and in fact Hitler was just above average height for the time and taller than Churchill.
13-07-2018, 19:55   #437
Baron99

Total Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
myth. Napoleon wasn't short. British propaganda tried to make out he was a midget but he wasn't. Napoleon wasn't tall, but he wasn't short either - he was about average height for the time. Over a century later British propaganda repeated itself and also tried to make out Hitler was short, but Hitler wasn't short either and in fact Hitler was just above average height for the time and taller than Churchill.
Totally missing the point in reference to Mr Welsh. We're not looking for a history lesson but this might help?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...ity-finds.html

Off now so won't be replying anytime tonight.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC33 View Post
The facts......

Beat Panama - problem being Panama were a dreadful team and struggled to get out of their half.

Beat Tunisia - A much better team than Panama but still unquestionably average.

Lost to Belguim.

Drew with Colombia over 120 minutes

Beat Sweden - their first good resul against decent opposition.

Lost to Croatia over 120 minutes.

One win,one draw and TWO losses - if you exclude the first two results against opposition that the vast majority agree were not up to playing at a WC.
But we were at the World Cup weren't we. You can't exclude any results & England could only play those teams who were drawn out in that long, laborious World Cup draw, which England were eligible to be in after all those World Cup qualifying games.

Come on Mrs Sturgeon. Give it up, your country wasn't good enough - AGAIN.
Yesterday, 05:48   #438
blake

Total Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Totally missing the point in reference to Mr Welsh. We're not looking for a history lesson but this might help?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...ity-finds.html

Off now so won't be replying anytime tonight.[COLOR="Silver"]
call it 'short man syndrome' then. Not Napoleon syndrome. Napoleon wasn't short. 'Napoleon syndrome' more accurately reflects a situation where lying two-bit propagandists falsely try to claim somebody is short when they are not short at all.
Yesterday, 14:14   #439
Ontarian1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
call it 'short man syndrome' then. Not Napoleon syndrome. Napoleon wasn't short. 'Napoleon syndrome' more accurately reflects a situation where lying two-bit propagandists falsely try to claim somebody is short when they are not short at all.
I'm over 6 feet but always seem to be a bit short.
Yesterday, 16:40   #440
Bob Arctor

Rashford and Lingard are playing very well, as is Loftus-Cheek, but that counter attack from Belgium on 78 minutes was lovely.
_______

Reply To Topic