Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Is a landline needed?

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

12-07-2018, 10:57   #1
St Tropez

Total Posts: 16
I need advice re a landline and Internet. Does anyone know of any company that avoids the landline. I'm currently with Vodafone and the customer service is absolutely shocking and cringeworthy fake. I've determined that the online chat support is in India and the technical support is in Doha, Qatar . After being on chat for 1 hr with India then 1 hr with Qatar I give up . I need a new Internet provider with a UK based customer service which avoids the landline. Any help appreciated guys.
_______
Life is too short not to live in style...
12-07-2018, 11:15   #2
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,605
A quick Google with "internet without landline" gives you your answer.
_______
UK debt now 1,920 billion. It was 700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
12-07-2018, 11:17   #3
St Tropez

But does it state where the customer service hub is?...usually not which is why i need humans here not google...thank you
_______
12-07-2018, 11:23   #4
truman

Total Posts: 20,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Tropez View Post
But does it state where the customer service hub is?...usually not which is why i need humans here not google...thank you
Do you mean broadband without a physical landline or broadband where you can pay one company for the phone line and another for broadband?
_______
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left...
12-07-2018, 11:30   #5
St Tropez

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Do you mean broadband without a physical landline or broadband where you can pay one company for the phone line and another for broadband?
Broadband without a physical landline, if that is possible PLUS a UK based customer service. A company must exist...
_______
12-07-2018, 11:44   #6
truman

Quote:
Broadband without a physical landline, if that is possible PLUS a UK based customer service. A company must exist...
There will be alternatives but I think you'd be looking at some sort of satellite system or maybe using your mobile as a hotspot..I reckon both would be expensive compared to either virgin or a normal landline..
_______
12-07-2018, 12:10   #7
aandbandc

Total Posts: 5
Quote:
VirginMedia meets both of your conditions, but you should know that their charges are higher than most other broadband providers.
12-07-2018, 12:21   #8
apelike

Total Posts: 4,185
Three.. 3.. do a mobile broadband Wireless/Ethernet router that does not use a landline but a 4G sim and I'm sure the customer service is in the UK.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devi...0&colour=Black

Not sure if others do though and just to add its for a 40GB per moth allowance only.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon

Last edited by apelike; 12-07-2018 at 12:36. Reason: additional info
12-07-2018, 12:33   #9
truman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandbandc View Post
VirginMedia meets both of your conditions, but you should know that their charges are higher than most other broadband providers.
And they don't cover all areas...
_______
12-07-2018, 12:58   #10
Jomie

Total Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Does anyone know of any company that avoids the landline.
The only way you can avoid line rental costs is to continue with mobile data or as has been said, Virgin if you have it in your area.
Check out the comparison sites e.g. uswitch for best deals on line rental. Where offered, line rental saver can save money. Opt for basic package on calls, usually free between 7pm and 7am plus weekends. More information on Money Saving Expert.

Last edited by Jomie; 12-07-2018 at 13:05.
12-07-2018, 14:15   #11
St Tropez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomie View Post
The only way you can avoid line rental costs is to continue with mobile data or as has been said, Virgin if you have it in your area.
Check out the comparison sites e.g. uswitch for best deals on line rental. Where offered, line rental saver can save money. Opt for basic package on calls, usually free between 7pm and 7am plus weekends. More information on Money Saving Expert.
Thank you so much, much appreciated. The issue I have today is that the landline broke 2 days ago (loud crackling) and they had me test for 1 hour my telephone set and I knew all along it was the line. No way should this have taken 1 hr plus a 1 hr chat online when all that was needed was to send out an engineer. Today no call back from an engineer as promised and no landline...frustrated...DO NOT USE VODAFONE FOR LANDLINE EVER!!!!
_______
12-07-2018, 14:27   #12
truman

Quote:
Thank you so much, much appreciated. The issue I have today is that the landline broke 2 days ago (loud crackling) and they had me test for 1 hour my telephone set and I knew all along it was the line. No way should this have taken 1 hr plus a 1 hr chat online when all that was needed was to send out an engineer. Today no call back from an engineer as promised and no landline...frustrated...DO NOT USE VODAFONE FOR LANDLINE EVER!!!!
When it boils down your landline will more than likely be supplied by BT Openreach.....or whatever they're called these days..as it would be from any other broadband supplier except Virgin I think
_______
12-07-2018, 15:27   #13
Resident

Total Posts: 4,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandbandc View Post
How? There's still a physical line to the house.

There's no official 'landline' charge but that's why they're most expensive.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
12-07-2018, 15:37   #14
the_bloke

Total Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
How? There's still a physical line to the house.

There's no official 'landline' charge but that's why they're most expensive.
You don't need a telephone socket or telephone line to use Virgin's Internet. You do need to be in a Virgin enabled area though. The only 'physical line' is the fibre cable buried under the street going to your house.
_______
I identify as an attack helicopter. From now on please address me as 'it'.
12-07-2018, 15:49   #15
IT-Smith

Total Posts: 142
EE do 100GB and 200GB mobile data contracts which are not to bad price wise for mobile data.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-mo...outer/details#
_______
IT-Smith Support Ltd
Home and Small business IT support in the Sheffield area.
0114 4070132 or 07952 905473
http://www.it-smith.co.uk
12-07-2018, 16:19   #16
truman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Smith View Post
EE do 100GB and 200GB mobile data contracts which are not to bad price wise for mobile data.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-mo...outer/details#
The plan you linked to is about twice what I pay for unlimited....I think I'm happy to "put up with" a land line
_______
13-07-2018, 06:29   #17
Jomie

Total Posts: 1,030
Truman - did they not offer to send an engineer out? They usually say there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with the customer but in your case you have eliminated this by the testing that you have done.
If you want to change company, have a look at Plusnet.
13-07-2018, 09:24   #18
truman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomie View Post
Truman - did they not offer to send an engineer out? They usually say there will be a charge if the fault is found to be with the customer but in your case you have eliminated this by the testing that you have done.
If you want to change company, have a look at Plusnet.
Sorry,I think you're a bit confused..I'm not the OP
_______
13-07-2018, 17:05   #19
Janus

Total Posts: 2,206
St Tropeze-

Just get a decent Data plan on a mobile plan.

I`ve calculated that a desktop pc for example burns about 100mb per hr. (1gb per 10hrs)

Just load a web page then turn hot spot off-only uses a munute of data.

You only need data on when changing pages etc.
14-07-2018, 10:18   #20
zach

Total Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
St Tropeze-

Just get a decent Data plan on a mobile plan.

I`ve calculated that a desktop pc for example burns about 100mb per hr. (1gb per 10hrs)

Just load a web page then turn hot spot off-only uses a munute of data.

You only need data on when changing pages etc.
It's an option.

I just got back from Edinburgh and used my mobile for my Surface Pro and my Daughters Mac book Pro. 3 days of loading maps and things to do pages, used under a GB of data. It was also much faster than Premier Inns free WiFi. I'm on 3's 20.99 tariff with 30 GB of data, unlimited talk and text.

It's not an option for me at home though. It doubt it would last a day!
Reply To Topic