Parkwood springs stories please

I'm interested in parkwood springs and its history. I'm looking for memories or stories anyone has that describe what the area used to be like!

I've got two old maps;

The first one from 1892 shows the area as mostly woodland, named 'Old Park Wood' with housing to the South which i believe was Parkwood Springs but that now the name is given to the whole site including landfill etc. I'm interested in the old Parkwood Road which went through the woodland joining the site from North to South at this time. Does anyone know how well this was used as a route into the city at this time?

The second is of 1953 which shows the old Parkwood Road still intact but no woodland and what looks like a series of quarries in its place. It also shows allotments off of Douglas Road which i would be interested in finding out about!

I think its a shame this land is being used as landfill and that the Parkwood Road has been cut off as a route into the city so any information on the character of this area over the period i have discussed would be welcomed!

Parkwood Road Neepsend Lane end, was tarmac up to the Gas Board Tip after which it became an unmade road, a bit of a rough track through to Shirecliffe, Douglas Road was tarmac up to a point just above the Ski Village then it became unmade road and joined up with Parkwood Road below the Allotments, the road can be seen running through the tips on this photo where I was comparing the tipping,

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/pick110/comparingparkwoodtip.jpg

I'm interested in parkwood springs and its history. I'm looking for memories or stories anyone has that describe what the area used to be like!

I've got two old maps;

The first one from 1892 shows the area as mostly woodland, named 'Old Park Wood' with housing to the South which i believe was Parkwood Springs but that now the name is given to the whole site including landfill etc. I'm interested in the old Parkwood Road which went through the woodland joining the site from North to South at this time. Does anyone know how well this was used as a route into the city at this time?

The second is of 1953 which shows the old Parkwood Road still intact but no woodland and what looks like a series of quarries in its place. It also shows allotments off of Douglas Road which i would be interested in finding out about!

I think its a shame this land is being used as landfill and that the Parkwood Road has been cut off as a route into the city so any information on the character of this area over the period i have discussed would be welcomed!

Hi - re the photo (1980). Before that on one side there were small holdings where pig and chickens were kept, a mate and my self went shooting rats (with permission).On the opposite side there were allotments, under which was a small mine. In the background there was Neepsend power station.the tip in the middle used to be on fire and my brother and I colected coke and sold bags on Parkwood Springs. Before the college on top of the hill there were gun implacments to protect Sheffield in the war and the shelter was left until it was all cleared for the college to be built.

I was the'village' bobby in Neepsend /Parkwood Springs from 1968 until 1976. I well remember most of the roads in the area and a lot of the people who were, contrary to popular belief, the salt of the earth. I have too many memories to relate at this time but am willing to answer any questions about the area via this medium.

I have just discovered my relatives lived on vale road in 1871, no.s 22,55 and 61. 10 years previous to this they were just listed as at parkwood springs. Do you know when Vale Road was built and what was there beforehand?

I have just discovered my relatives lived on vale road in 1871, no.s 22,55 and 61. 10 years previous to this they were just listed as at parkwood springs. Do you know when Vale Road was built and what was there beforehand?

Started to be built mid 1850's, some of the roads were renamed, Vale Road retained it's original name.

c1855 Parkwood,

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/pick110/parkwood1855snippet.jpg

I lived on Pickering Road from 61 till 66/67. My auntie, uncle and cousin lived at the top of Pickering Road.

I went to Parkwood Springs Methodist church and my cousin was the last person to marry there before it was closed.

I used to live on Pickering Road as a child from 1948 to 1961 . I certainly don't remember any woodland area , though I do remember the open areas around the allotments .They were situated at the top side of the recreation area between the quarry and the hills leading up to the old gun pits on either side and Parkwood road leading over to Shirecliffe . Adjacent to the allotments , separating them from the recreation area was a bowling green .

To the NW side of the allotments , between Pickering road was an old quarry holding water which , when was heavy with water , was drained by the fire brigade . That was because it used to drain through into the mine shaft below . Because the hills around the old quarry were undulated , we used them as a push bike track .

At the otherside of the allotments , by Douglas road , there were several small ponds which were fed by the springs - hence the name springs . We used to fish in them for minnows and tadpoles .

There was at one time , in the early to mid 50s ., an attempt to create a track through from Douglas road to Rutland road , but that was abandoned for some reason .

There were two fields between the recreation area and the allotments which were used as a childrens sports area on Whit Monday by the chapel .

All in all it was a very close knit community , who mostly got involved .

I hope this has been of some help .

I've got two old maps;

Did you know that the bowling green was built over a water tank?

Did you know that the bowling green was built over a water tank?

nope,certainly didn't . Any idea what it was for . I can only guess that it may have been as a catchment for the water that came down from the woods after a heavy rainfall when the springs gave out . Water did run down Douglas road after heavy rain .

Just thinking about that . If the water which came down from the springs into the tank , that must have been even better and purer water than that from Sheffield water works . I hope that it was not just for the Hallamshire .

Edited by mikebatty

nope,certainly didn't . Any idea what it was for . I can only guess that it may have been as a catchment for the water that came down from the woods after a heavy rainfall when the springs gave out . Water did run down Douglas road after heavy rain .
I believe that it stored drinking water for the supply of Parkwood and Neepsend.