Sign in to follow this  

VW Beetle - Soon To Be Extinct.

The last Beetle will roll off the production line in July 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45516677

Learned to drive in an Austin Maxi then bought a second hand, bright orange, (EasyJet would have turned it down), Beetle. It sounded like a million ball bearings in an oil drum, being rolled down a hill & you could tell where I'd been by the exhaust smoke I left behind. I like to think the Red Arrows got the idea from me?

But it was mine. Happy days.

interesting article:

“Consumers in the US have increasingly turned to larger cars such as crossovers and sports utility vehicles.”

“Volkswagen, in the wake of the diesel emissions scandal and huge investment in electric vehicles, says it will look to slim down its model range with a greater focus on family and electric cars.”

“US consumers looking for a small Volkswagen vehicle overwhelmingly prefer the Jetta sedan, or a Tiguan compact sport utility vehicle.”

I suspect VAG will simply re-release a centenary model to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Beetle n the next decade or two:

“But Mr Woebcken didn't completely rule out that the model could one day be resurrected. "Never say never," he said.”

And since it’s based on the same platform as every other Germanese binwagen in the VAG range such as the Golf, TT, A3, and some Skodas, resurrecting the Beetle is simply a matter of sticking a semi-circle on top of a chassis