The Linux Thread

Seeing as there is a heated Windows thread, I thought I'd start a Linux thread.

NOTE - NO WINDOWS V LINUX, LINUX OR WINDOWS BASHING etc please. If there is any then your post will be reported to the mods for being off topic.

This is a thread for help, information and tips on Linux for people who are interested in it, who want to expand their knowledge etc.

Thanks.

So, as I am looking at putting Linux on my desktop pc, rather than my laptop, is Zorin still a good one to go for? My desktop is a 32 bit processor based with a few gig of ram. It's nothing special. It'll be dual booted with another OS, probably Windows 7 as I will be getting a HP Proliant 460 for use as a sever with VM Ware ESX on it so I can set up Windows 2008 Server training rigs.

Thanks.

Linux Mint is a good variant to use

I have tried it and it is much faster then Windows but what puts me off is having to download drivers and bits to get things working.Mine was Zorin OS 4 so they may have improved things since then.

Hi AngryDog,

The current version of Zorin (all versions) is 6.2 Core. Now I beleive that 6.2 is based on 12.04.2 (but I could be wrong!) of Ubuntu. Most drivers should work for you. I am aware that there were some issues with 4 with regard to laptop wireless where 5 'just worked'.

The minimum specs are given here:

What are the minimum system requirements that I need to install Zorin OS?

For the GNOME based versions (non Lite):

700 MHz x86 processor

3GB of Hard Drive space

376 MB of system memory (RAM)

Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

Sound card

For the LXDE based versions (Lite):

266 MHz x86 processor

2GB of Hard Drive space

128 MB of system memory (RAM)

Graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution

Sound card

(Taken from: http://www.zorin-os.com/faq.html)

When installing a point to note:

1. Account name creation - absolutely no capital letters allowed!

2. Encryption of '/home' folder not allowed at point of install!

This will lead to installation 'failure'

Zorin uses the same interface as Ubuntu at point of install - earlier versions used to ask for 'real name' - this would be repeated in username field in 'lowercase' so there was never an issue, but noobs could fall over this issue if not aware of it.

If you do have some driver issues, then go to Menu | System Tools | Administration | Additional Drivers.

Hope this helps!

(PS I am currently having issues with PearLinux 7 final - md5sum errors and warnings that I have burnt my disc too fast (I never do) or hardware (drive) failure - have checked using HDTune 2.5 and everything showing fine - suspect final release issue!).

I have just checked their blog (Zorini) and they have just released the Educational and Multimedia version releases - the latter usually incurs a charge (as it is a 'premium' edition) - educational has always been free - and the one free version that 'normally' has the 'Mac' look available, alongside Win2k - have not checked this out as only just discovered that 6.2 versions have recently been released in respect of Education and Multimedia.

6.2 is built off Ubuntu 12.04 so is a LTS release = support up to 2017 - just like Ubuntu. If you want to install later releases, it does not allow for a 'rolling release install' - you have to do a new one each time.

Note: LIte is for low specced and older kit and is based of Lubuntu which is not Long Term Supported - life cycle is 18 months.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 18:36 ----------

Where to download from, How to install (dual-boot) and post installation guide can be found here:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3962

Thanks for the info swarf.

Will USB wifi adapters work?

If you mean dongles that connect to routers, yes - but I can only speak from experience - my desktop with Zorin has a Netgear WG111v3 dongle. It is also possible to use the telephony dongles - madvinegar is the expert on that front!

Best way forward is to download the free version you require, boot in 'live' mode and see if it picks up the dongle - if it does, that is the best place to install from by clicking on the 'install' to hard drive - but you need to make room for it before you install it - check out my dual boot guide here (which applies to all flavours of GNU/Linux - but excludes Windows 8 because of the UEFI thing):

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

Once you have created space, and followed the 'prep part' of the guide, when it asks you what you want to do, choose 'something else' and the partition editor will come up (gparted).

1. Create a Primary partition of 15 Gb and format to 'ext4' and mark as '/'

2. Create a Logical (extended) partition of the remaining free space and at the END of the drive create a 4 Gb 'swap area'.

3. Whatever is left at the START of the extended partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this is where all your personal data is kept and all your WINE and windows applications - so if your system should die at any time, your data will still be in one piece in one place. I have not experienced any system downtime at all with Zorin.

Edited by swarfendor43

Yeah the USB wifi dongles. Though I may set up a wired network and then link it into the wifi router via my own wifi router as the router won't be in my room when I move

If you mean dongles that connect to routers, yes - but I can only speak from experience - my desktop with Zorin has a Netgear WG111v3 dongle. It is also possible to use the telephony dongles - madvinegar is the expert on that front!

Best way forward is to download the free version you require, boot in 'live' mode and see if it picks up the dongle - if it does, that is the best place to install from by clicking on the 'install' to hard drive - but you need to make room for it before you install it - check out my dual boot guide here (which applies to all flavours of GNU/Linux - but excludes Windows 8 because of the UEFI thing):

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

Once you have created space, and followed the 'prep part' of the guide, when it asks you what you want to do, choose 'something else' and the partition editor will come up (gparted).

1. Create a Primary partition of 15 Gb and format to 'ext4' and mark as '/'

2. Create a Logical (extended) partition of the remaining free space and at the END of the drive create a 4 Gb 'swap area'.

3. Whatever is left at the START of the extended partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this is where all your personal data is kept and all your WINE and windows applications - so if your system should die at any time, your data will still be in one piece in one place. I have not experienced any system downtime at all with Zorin.

I'm not blonde just a Linux novice... honestly!

Can you please tell me why you have put the "swap area" at the end of your HD?

If you are talking standard dongle (not one of the pay as you go data ones) then you should be ok - if your dongle came with any drivers, copy the driver files onto USB and when you boot live, IF it doesn't pick up the dongle (if it does Zorin is pretty quick at announcing 'Wireless found, click on icon to connect' - you should see yours (and your neighbours) routers showing.

I am currently in Windows 7 (hello old friend!) as the PearLinux 7 final went head over heels backwards and am downloading in Windows 7 so need to get back to you where the windows driver software is - you can install some stuff to memory while running live - once checked I will get back to you.

Yeah the USB wifi dongles. Though I may set up a wired network and then link it into the wifi router via my own wifi router as the router won't be in my room when I move

On Zorin I did not have to install one driver, even my wireless HP 3200 3in1 printer connected before I could blink. Honest!

WI-FI was not an issue but mine is onboard all that was required was router password.

I cannot use Linux as it wont detect my wireless dongle.