Do You Need The BBC?

You've made up denial syndrome.

Don't worry, they'll probably be able to detect when you've been watching live TV via smart meters soon.

They can already tell different appliances apart using non intrusive load monitoring. There's even open source software to help people developing such applications.

Variations in the power consumption of TVs as the picture changes could be compared with reference data recorded as the TV signals are broadcast and used to identify what you've been watching and when.

Think this is fanciful? The police already do something similar with variations in mains frequency to validate audio recordings.

Don't worry, they'll probably be able to detect when you've been watching live TV via smart meters soon.

They can already tell different appliances apart using non intrusive load monitoring. There's even open source software to help people developing such applications.

Variations in the power consumption of TVs as the picture changes could be compared with reference data recorded as the TV signals are broadcast and used to identify what you've been watching and when.

Think this is fanciful? The police already do something similar with variations in mains frequency to validate audio recordings.

Why go to all that bother?

TV Licensing uses a large database that has every licensed property in the UK on it - and then sends threatening letters to, and very occasionally visits, those properties that don't have a valid TV licence.

TV Licensing uses a large database that has every licensed property in the UK on it - and then sends threatening letters to, and very occasionally visits, those properties that don't have a valid TV licence.

its called technological advancement, its called narrowing things down, its called using different services to survey those they need to survey ;)

Why bother? Because then people can't close the curtains and simply refuse entry.

If they can prove through your electricity usage that you were watching broadcast TV and you have no license, then they can simply issue court proceedings.

Not true..in a previous life I worked for a company who looked after Capita's IT systems...Capita used to do the "enforcement" (even back then) .. I was shown around a detector van and it was proved to me that they worked..

The TV detector vans 'evidence' of people watching TV illegally was never once used in a British court of law to try and gain a conviction, according to the BBC.

I wonder why that was, if they were really so effective at pinpointing TV licence fee evaders, especially those watching 'Columbo' on BBC1...

"New Internationalist is an award-winning media co-operative dedicated to socially conscious journalism and publishing."

It's not a manual of recognised syndromes... Perhaps I was wrong in thinking that you were trying to use something recognised like cognitive dissonance or confirmation bias?

"New Internationalist is an award-winning media co-operative dedicated to socially conscious journalism and publishing."

It's not a manual of recognised syndromes... Perhaps I was wrong in thinking that you were trying to use something recognised like cognitive dissonance or confirmation bias?

No, you were merely wrong in saying I had made up the syndrome.

No, you did make it up. That's why the only reference to it you that can find is from a random magazine.

The TV detector vans 'evidence' of people watching TV illegally was never once used in a British court of law to try and gain a conviction, according to the BBC.

I wonder why that was, if they were really so effective at pinpointing TV licence fee evaders, especially those watching 'Columbo' on BBC1...

Oh my god, all of this stinks of Orwell's 1984. BBC = Big Brother Caughtya.:P