Child Observation Help!

Hello there,

I am wondering if anyone could please help me at all.

I am currently training to be a social worker on the Frontline Social Work Course, accredited by the University of Bedfordshire. Learning about child development is an important aspect of my course and as part of that I have to do an observation of a child who is progressing well in an ordinary, well-functioning family. Social workers often work with very stressed families who are facing considerable difficulties. It is important that as a social worker I have a good knowledge of children growing up in families where there are no concerns about their welfare. I would be extremely grateful if any of you lovely parents would be willing to let me do an observation of your child.

The goal is for me to observe a child, aged 1-6 years, in a range of settings so that I can learn more about how children learn and develop. I will then be completing an essay on the observations that I have made in line with developmental theories that I am studying. Crucially, some of the observations should include observing the child at home with his/her parent(s). However other observations could be with siblings, extended family, friends, nursery or school. The idea is to see the child in a range of situations.

Like all social workers I have an enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check, which I am more than happy to provide, along with information from Frontline.

What would be involved?

ï‚· I would visit for six sessions of one hour each

ï‚· As I would be observing, I would not necessarily be able to interact or take part in anything whilst I am taking notes, however I am happy to interact before and after

ï‚· During the observation I will make detailed notes of what I am observing

 The kinds of things I will be noting are the child’s motor development, communication with others, emotional responses and cognitive development and how adults interact with the child to encourage positive development in these areas.

ï‚· I will ask parents and nurseries to sign an agreement to the observation

ï‚· Visits would be pre-arranged and agreed with parents (and teacher if the observation is at a nursery.)

In addition to this, I would be more than happy to meet up with interested parties beforehand and the parents are welcome at any time to read my notes and the full essay that I complete. I would be hoping to complete these observations over the course of the next four weeks with a view to completing the essay in six.

If you are interested in being a part of this, or know of a family who might be interested please do contact me. I will then be able to visit to discuss the observation and answer questions.

Thank you for your time and co-operation and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kerry