SSD speed question

I am slightly underwhelmed buy the apparent speed of my SSD

It a Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500 GB paired with a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 mobo.

I know, I know. The mobo is super old but call me nostalgic (or tight) but Ive had it so long now its part of the family, aaaaaaaaaand I cant afford a new pc right now so the SSD was supposed to spruce up the old girl for a few extra years.

Has anyone got any clue on roughly what transfer speeds i should be getting? Im obviously not expecting the max speeds from my SSD with my current mobo but what should I get?

Thanks for any help or advice :)

I don't know exact numbers right now, but don't worry, increase in speed will be very noticeable.

Difference between Sata 2,3 difference is only theoretical, so no point of buying new (old) MBO just for SSD, unless you plan to change the whole system.

Edited by Guest

What CPU do you have ?

How long does it take to boot the OS ?

The SSD is almost certainly being limited by the 3 Gb/s limitation of SATA 2.

3Gb/s is plenty fast for an SSD, don’t you mean they 300Mb/s limitation of SATA2

I don't know what SSD you're using, but?

Today's fastest SSDs already bounce off the SATA 6Gb/s interface's throughput ceiling. Does a 3 Gb/s link kill the performance of those drives? We run a number of synthetic and real-world tests to assess the damage when you upgrade an older platform.

The 840 Pro soared in our synthetic tests when we had it hooked up to a 6 Gb/s port. It also fell flat several times when we hamstrung it using SATA 3Gb/s. When we specifically targeted sequential reads and writes, along with random I/O at high queue depths, the differences were especially pronounced. But once we started through our handful of real-world tasks, booting up and shutting down Windows 8, and loading a number of applications, the differences shrank to almost nothing. The deltas we did measure wouldn't be perceptible during your day-to-day grind.

That said, in the real world it appeared to make little difference.

---------- Post added 28-08-2018 at 07:30 ----------

Oh I see, you mixed up your upper and lower case.

3 Gb/s is about the same as 300 MB/s, see the difference in the case of the B/b.

3.0 Gb/s

The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s. SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s.

Not 300 Mb/s but 300 MB/s, or 3.0 Gb/s.

Edited by Cyclone