A-level results day 2018

An observation about media coverage of A Level results day.

Don't any boys pass? Or maybe they don't even sit A Levels.

An observation about media coverage of A Level results day.

Don't any boys pass? Or maybe they don't even sit A Levels.

We can all be selective about media coverage if we choose to be, but, yes, boys do pass.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-hard-graft-leads-to-stories-of-success-for-sheffield-a-level-students-1-9305660

My daughter has got better grades than she expected and she is now wanting to go to a 'better' uni, but the course that she wants is full.

She is now thinking about a gap year, so she can choose better next year, she isn't prepared for moving away from home.

Including my son :)

A's in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Does it not bother you that everyone seems to get As all the time now, and everyone goes to university. Back in the 1980s I think only 5% managed to get into university, and it meant something. Now it seems everyone goes, and employers dont see it as anything important, especially when the universities are full of people doing Sports Studies, The History of Basket Weaving and BAs in Sheep Shearing.

Does it not bother you that everyone seems to get As all the time now, and everyone goes to university. Back in the 1980s I think only 5% managed to get into university, and it meant something. Now it seems everyone goes, and employers dont see it as anything important, especially when the universities are full of people doing Sports Studies, The History of Basket Weaving and BAs in Sheep Shearing.

Do you have any recent experience of universities? Don't think many kids want to pay £30k on basket weaving these days..

Including my son :)

A's in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Well done to your son Nikki.

Do you have any recent experience of universities? Don't think many kids want to pay £30k on basket weaving these days..

Yes. My two best friends here have lectured at Hallam for close to 25 years each. Both are appalled at the deteriorating quality of the kids they get through, many of whom can barely articulate a thought in writing coherently and yet who seem to think they have a divine right to get a good degree simply because they have invested that money. They have literally had to deal with students telling them they will sue because they got a bad mark in an essay, because they genuinely believe they are buying a degree, not earning one.

Here are some real degrees offered in UK universities:

Hairdressing-salon management — University of Derby

Fashion-and-lifestyle products — Southampton Solent University

Watersports science and development — University of Portsmouth

Sports-surfaces management — Glyndwr University

Contemporary circus and physical performance — Bath Spa University

Equestrian psychology — Glyndwr University

Cruise management — University of Plymouth

Surf science and technology — University of Plymouth

Pop-music performance — University of East London

Sexual-health studies — University of Central Lancashire

Edited by bendix

There does not seem to be much information around, as to how many get A*

Yes. My two best friends here have lectured at Hallam for close to 25 years each. Both are appalled at the deteriorating quality of the kids they get through, many of whom can barely articulate a thought in writing coherently and yet who seem to think they have a divine right to get a good degree simply because they have invested that money. They have literally had to deal with students telling them they will sue because they got a bad mark in an essay, because they genuinely believe they are buying a degree, not earning one.

Here are some real degrees offered in UK universities:

Hairdressing-salon management — University of Derby

Fashion-and-lifestyle products — Southampton Solent University

Watersports science and development — University of Portsmouth

Sports-surfaces management — Glyndwr University

Contemporary circus and physical performance — Bath Spa University

Equestrian psychology — Glyndwr University

Cruise management — University of Plymouth

Surf science and technology — University of Plymouth

Pop-music performance — University of East London

Sexual-health studies — University of Central Lancashire

No basket weaving then....which of those do you think is a useless course? Are there many takers for them?

Edited by truman

No basket weaving then....which of those do you think is a useless course?

All of them. Utterly stupid. They debase the concept of academic studies and reading for a degree. Circus management for heavens sake!