Italian bridge collapse

An awful BBC error, in announcing the collapse; the news item was headlined "BREAKING".

Er, no. I understand what was meant- but that's not how it read!

An awful BBC error, in announcing the collapse; the news item was headlined "BREAKING".

It read that a bridge had just collapsed.

Drove over that bridge last September - scary.

I presume that you understand the phrase “breaking news”. And the phrase “over twenty dead”.

Maybe reserve the lame attempts at humour for a more appropriate thread.

I see that the populist right in Italy are trying to blame the EU for this bridge collapse by forcing austerity measures on Italy.

Good luck with that!

What a terrible event to happen. My thoughts are with the people, particularly those who may be buried alive, may their God be with them in their hour of need.

Angel1.

Someone didn’t spec out the appropriate non-destructive testing programme for the bridge. The safety case should have been validated and this has obviously failed. Heads are going to roll (not literally of course).

Edited by ez8004

From what I'm reading, there is a real whiff of Grenfell about this whole thing, ie a number of people and bodies raising concerns about the safety of the bridge and largely being ignored by the many vested interests in play.

It is also emerging that the original design was faulty but a decision was made to press on with it and just check it more often. Something which seems to have been forgotten as time went on.

From what I'm reading, there is a real whiff of Grenfell about this whole thing, ie a number of people and bodies raising concerns about the safety of the bridge and largely being ignored by the many vested interests in play.

It is also emerging that the original design was faulty but a decision was made to press on with it and just check it more often. Something which seems to have been forgotten as time went on.

This brings to mind the original design the Tinsley Viaduct where strengthening connecting rods were inserted over many years ,Always thought that some one had slipped up there.

This brings to mind the original design the Tinsley Viaduct where strengthening connecting rods were inserted over many years ,Always thought that some one had slipped up there.

Was that what they were doing in 2003-2004 when it seemed to be closed every night?

Box-section construction similar to the bridge in Australia which collapsed in 1970 (same design consultants), that's why strengthening was done.