Failed minimum wage?

Millions of families 'worse off' than 15 years ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926447

In 2003, households on the lower half of incomes typically earnt £14,900.

In 2016/17 that figure had fallen to £14,800, the research shows.

I have never heard anyone say what a great Chancellor was, because he boosted those at the bottoms wages.

The people that I work with have pay hikes to keep ahead of the minimum wage, so why are people not grateful, and why is the BBC saying people are poorer?

Millions of families 'worse off' than 15 years ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44926447

In 2003, households on the lower half of incomes typically earnt £14,900.

In 2016/17 that figure had fallen to £14,800, the research shows.

I have never heard anyone say what a great Chancellor was, because he boosted those at the bottoms wages.

The people that I work with have pay hikes to keep ahead of the minimum wage, so why are people not grateful, and why is the BBC saying people are poorer?

Because people are poorer?

Don't forget those working hard on the minimum wage, yet still can't afford to put a roof over their head. Channel 4's Working and Homeless program last night. Not all were zero hour contracts, but full time workers.

Why do folk on the NMW/NLW who work a 35 hour week become subject to income tax? :huh:

Why do folk on the NMW/NLW who work a 35 hour week become subject to income tax? :huh:

Because they earn over the tax threshold.....

Only people who gain from a national minimum wage rise are the govt from increased income tax and national insurance.

Joe public loses what we gain through price rises for goods and services.

Calculate the increase you gained this April from the new rise and then factor in the price increases of goods/services and then you will realise....

Because they earn over the tax threshold.....

So it can’t be a living wage if it’s reduced by taxation can it?

Scrap the minimum wage, the most egalitarian countries have industry trade union groups to negotiate a fair wage on workers behalf. All the NMW does is create a race to bottom line, multinationals billions revenue keeping its staff in poverty.

Edited by chakademus
Mnes

So it can’t be a living wage if it’s reduced by taxation can it?

Doesn't "living" include contributing? What are you suggesting ..a lower MW or a higher tax free amount?

Doesn't "living" include contributing? What are you suggesting ..a lower MW or a higher tax free amount?

I’m not really sure to be truthful, if they only earned the tax-free allowance of £11850, it would be a big loss of income. Perhaps the existence of the NMW drags wages down, I just don’t like the government telling businesses how little they can get away with paying their staff.

I’m not really sure to be truthful, if they only earned the tax-free allowance of £11850, it would be a big loss of income. Perhaps the existence of the NMW drags wages down, I just don’t like the government telling businesses how little they can get away with paying their staff.

Maybe they'd pay even less without the MW?

Only people who gain from a national minimum wage rise are the govt from increased income tax and national insurance.

Joe public loses what we gain through price rises for goods and services.

Calculate the increase you gained this April from the new rise and then factor in the price increases of goods/services and then you will realise....

Thats the same for everyone though - technically everyone is getting worse off as increases in goods are growing every week compared to salaries.