Virgin Media hub, modem router

Hi,

Is it possible to add another virgin media hub to my system. I currently have the one supplied by virgin and would like another in another part of the house so I can hard wire my computer into it rather tahn being wi-fi. I have all of the relevant cables in situ.

Will any router work or does it have to be a virgin one? My current router has all the security codes on it etc... so is adding another possible?

Thanks in advance, hope this makes sense

Hi, you have a few options depending on what you're ideally looking for.

If you just want another part of the house to have a cabled connection then a pair of powerline adapters is probably the best. You'd take a network cable from the Virgin modem/router to the powerline adapter that plugs into a close by mains socket. Then the other adapter plus into a mains socket close to the computer and run a network lead from it to the adapter.

I chose to configure the Virgin Super Hub as a modem only so it doesn't provide Wi-Fi and any clever stuff. It's plugged into a separate TP-Link router which has a much better Wi-Fi range and as I'm in a solid older house I use Powerline adapters and a Wi-Fi extender to better share the connection around the house.

The first option is probably the easiest given what you're trying to achieve. Hope that helps.

You don't need another virgin router. The one you've got provides your link to the internet, you simply need to connect your computer, or your home network, to it with a network cable.

What does "all the relevant cables" mean? If you mean networking cables then simply plug in your PC to one end and the other end to your router.

You don't need another virgin router. The one you've got provides your link to the internet, you simply need to connect your computer, or your home network, to it with a network cable.

Nailed it.

Will your home accept powerline adaptors?

I had the exact same setup as you, so I bought the TP Link AV600 kit.

It gave me two wired network points at the other end of the house and also wifi.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html?store=2222&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xwimapippl&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20Link%20SF~All%20Products~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700033860804577&PLA=1&tgtid=1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20Link%20SF&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP7FsuE-Q9ipU189Yd8rDcQLljmN9X35QXVbhhLlXkvTOxAV60FGL9hoCxQMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Box on the left plugs into your Virgin router. Box on the right goes near your PC or whever you want a wired connection.

Is the OP going to be back to answer any questions? I'd still like to know what "all the relevant cables" means.

Will your home accept powerline adaptors?

I had the exact same setup as you, so I bought the TP Link AV600 kit.

It gave me two wired network points at the other end of the house and also wifi.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html?store=2222&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xwimapippl&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20Link%20SF~All%20Products~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700033860804577&PLA=1&tgtid=1014%20(PLA)%20TP%20Link%20SF&gclid=CjwKCAjwj4zaBRABEiwA0xwsP7FsuE-Q9ipU189Yd8rDcQLljmN9X35QXVbhhLlXkvTOxAV60FGL9hoCxQMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Box on the left plugs into your Virgin router. Box on the right goes near your PC or whever you want a wired connection.

I use powerline adapters as well, but I opted for the AV1000 as my Virgin connection can saturate an AV600 line.