What do people think of the new tesco express on Manchester Rd ? Good idea or not. Personally I think it's brilliant.;??

Guest makapaka
What do people think of the new tesco express on Manchester Rd ? Good idea or not. Personally I think it's brilliant.;??

Went in earlier. Is what it is. Will hurt the spar but that's not a bad thing cos it's generally rubbish.

Worry a bit about the butchers and veg shop as you would imagine they will get a down turn they can't soak up like spar can.

My suggestion to all would be by all means use the Tesco but don't forget about the local businesses cos once they're gone they won't be coming back.

Only thing I've heard is "unexpected item in bagging area" :D

Only thing I've heard is "unexpected item in bagging area" :D

We've all experienced that Im sure - there is nothing worse than having a surprise in the 'bagging area' :o

Guest sibon
Went in earlier. Is what it is. Will hurt the spar but that's not a bad thing cos it's generally rubbish.

Worry a bit about the butchers and veg shop as you would imagine they will get a down turn they can't soak up like spar can.

My suggestion to all would be by all means use the Tesco but don't forget about the local businesses cos once they're gone they won't be coming back.

Broomhill has a Tesco, a Sainsburys and a Morrisons. It also has an excellent butcher and greengrocer.

There is room for both.

Broomhill has a Tesco, a Sainsburys and a Morrisons. It also has an excellent butcher and greengrocer.

There is room for both.

If Broomhill independents can survive, then Crosspool's should. Though it's not quite as busy of course, parking is far less problematic than in Broomhill. That's a good advantage for a start.

I already said in the other thread, and agree with the above poster, Spar will probably struggle.

Guest sibon
If Broomhill independents can survive, then Crosspool's should. Though it's not quite as busy of course, parking is far less problematic than in Broomhill. That's a good advantage for a start.

I already said in the other thread, and agree with the above poster, Spar will probably struggle.

The butcher in Crosspool should have no problem. The fruit and veg shop might have to up their game a bit.

The butcher in Crosspool should have no problem. The fruit and veg shop might have to up their game a bit.

I don't know it, but if it's a good butchers (which your post suggests), then it will have no problems, parking/Tesco or not.

Definitely more dangerous for a fruit and veg shop, because supermarkets sell adequate/above adequate fruitnveg these days.

There is room for both.

Broomhill also has a healthy student population as well as hospital and university workers in the area. Crosspool doesn't - it's mainly a middle class residents area who will either (a) shop at Tesco cos its cheap/convenient or (b) support local traders. Few will do both

Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.

Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.

Is it really worth it, really??

;)