What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Seems only half the pavement space is free in Sheffield city centre these days with so much building renovation and new developments going on ... what are all thes enew developments about?

2 boardings in Fargate, Nat West in High St has boarding, New Hotel High St, boarding up blocking off that narrow gennel near Sarnis sandwich shop? etc etc

Seems only half the pavement space is free in Sheffield city centre these days with so much building renovation and new developments going on ... what are all thes enew developments about?

2 boardings in Fargate, Nat West in High St has boarding, New Hotel High St, boarding up blocking off that narrow gennel near Sarnis sandwich shop? etc etc

The centre of town is a nightmare to get round at the moment. So many roads closed off or one way. The council doesn't seem to have given much thought to this at all. I wonder how many people have been put off visiting Sheffield because of it?

The centre of town is a nightmare to get round at the moment. So many roads closed off or one way. The council doesn't seem to have given much thought to this at all. I wonder how many people have been put off visiting Sheffield because of it?

You ever driven around Leeds, or any other major city?

The Council have given a lot of thought to the matter. All major cities employ the same traffic management measures as are in use here. Anyone visiting a major city would expect to encounter them.

The centre of town is a nightmare to get round at the moment. So many roads closed off or one way. The council doesn't seem to have given much thought to this at all.

is it the council’s fault that Sheffield has so many hills and single lane roads running through it?

Without knocking down the entire city and rebuilding it again (which maybe they should have done in the 1980s/1990s, when derelict properties and real estate was dirt cheap) then we can only tinker at the edges.

I wonder how many people have been put off visiting Sheffield because of it?

I’m wondering how many people are getting fed up just living here because of it :D

Try Manchester. I had the pleasure of a visit early one Saturday down oxford street. Some lanes were always bus lanes, some not, some timed some side roads were but then only if were turning in and not out and vicevesa.

I took the fine in the end.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/oxford-road-bus-lane-fines-14326548

Guest makapaka
How often do you visit the cathedral and galleries?

Quite often. Why?

I visit the Anglican Cathedral regularly and was at the Millennium Gallery just last Thursday to see the photography exhibition . Must return to that again when I have more time as is excellent.

You ever driven around Leeds, or any other major city?

Ah... the wonderful Leeds city centre loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_junctions_on_Leeds_City_Centre_Loop_Road

18 junctions in 2 miles - miss your turning and you might well have to go all the way round again (about 20 minutes outside rush hour).

Guest makapaka
Ah... the wonderful Leeds city centre loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_junctions_on_Leeds_City_Centre_Loop_Road

18 junctions in 2 miles - miss your turning and you might well have to go all the way round again (about 20 minutes outside rush hour).

But it’s Leeds so it must be better than sheffield.......because.....Council.

But it’s Leeds so it must be better than sheffield.......because.....Council.

I'll be honest, I know the loop gets a bit of stick but as a very occasional visitor I found it quite helpful, certainly pre sat-nav.

Guest makapaka
I'll be honest, I know the loop gets a bit of stick but as a very occasional visitor I found it quite helpful, certainly pre sat-nav.

Maybe I’m messing a bit but it’s the constant comparison with Leeds and Manchester that drives me mad.

It’s like saying Wednesday and united are useless football teams cos they’re not as good as Man City and man united.

Personally think Nottingham is really good