Best Internet Provider S20

Anyone know of good internet providers in s20 area ?. Currently with Sky but its poor , 2 mbps tonight and that's with a new hub 2 weeks ago after I complained . Im not very tech savvy so any help would be appreciated

If you're getting such a low speed then it's likely that you're either a long way from your exchange, and so changing to another ADSL provider won't make any difference, or that you have a fault with your line.

Distance is the most likely.

Look for a provider that supplies fibre broadband, many of them do, even Sky.

That's the only way you're really going to get a good Internet speed.

ok thanks for that :thumbsup: Just looked at that. Even though been with sky 20 years they want a £60 connection fee for fibre :(.

Edited by hackey lad

I'm in S20. Moved from BT to Sky broadband unlimited about 10 years ago and went from around 1-2Mbs to 15Mbs (it was advertised as up to 20 Mbs). As the years went by this gradually decreased to around 7-8 Mbs so I recently took up a Sky offer for an 18 month free upgrade to fibre unlimited and I'm now getting around 37Mbs. It's going to cost me another £14 a month when the offer ends but right now I'm more than happy that I can finally stream stuff at the same time as my daughter without it dropping out all the time :)

I'm in S20. Moved from BT to Sky broadband unlimited about 10 years ago and went from around 1-2Mbs to 15Mbs (it was advertised as up to 20 Mbs). As the years went by this gradually decreased to around 7-8 Mbs so I recently took up a Sky offer for an 18 month free upgrade to fibre unlimited and I'm now getting around 37Mbs. It's going to cost me another £14 a month when the offer ends but right now I'm more than happy that I can finally stream stuff at the same time as my daughter without it dropping out all the time :)

Yes , Im on sky broadband unlimited now . Supposed to be up to 6mbps but very rarely get anything like that

Yes , Im on sky broadband unlimited now . Supposed to be up to 6mbps but very rarely get anything like that

If you been with sky more than 15 yrs you should be a diamond member like me my broadband is on fibre 35 mbps up from 2mbps on free for 12 months as took an 18 month deal . You have to hassle to get a good deal .

Also i am a long way from B. T. Box :hihi:

---------- Post added 18-08-2018 at 23:36 ----------

When offer ends have another go at them they always come up with another offer if you sign for 18 months :hihi:

If you been with sky more than 15 yrs you should be a diamond member like me my broadband is on fibre 35 mbps up from 2mbps on free for 12 months as took an 18 month deal . You have to hassle to get a good deal .

When offer ends have another go at them they always come up with another offer if you sign for 18 months :hihi:

Cheers Spider . Could you tell me more about this diamond member thing :thumbsup:

Good advice :) I've been with them for nearly 25 years so I'll definitely be pushing for a deal of some kind.

I upgraded to the new 2tb skyq box - now to watch UHD programmes your speed needs to be as good as possible. Mine kept dropping out so they actually came and hardwired my sky q box to the hub free of charge (externally for me) i'm on unlimited but not fibre and it produces 17/18 meg. I assume in s20 you'll be on the same exchange as i am.

So i got a better viewing package and the broadband upgraded for free(well not really i s'pose)

Cheers Spider . Could you tell me more about this diamond member thing :thumbsup:

You are going to have to commit yourself to sky to get there best deals ;

Sky talk to start with i got 2 brand new i phone 5 with unlimited call calls and text / Put My sky App on the phones to get you a direct line to sky cost £20

month all in includes phone . I was paying more to E E for phone calls so stopped E E straight away . My sky fibre 35 mgh is £11 a month and there was no connection fee as i am on Sky VIP Diamond 15 years member plus.

Phone sky tell them you want diamond v i p because you have been with them 15 years plus Be warned they will want you to commit to another 18 months membership but that seems no prob cause you have been with them 20 years.

Tell sky you want fibre think you will get it free // Sky talk is brill and remember calls to sky are free. Tip when you phone sky keep saying no to all

questions till they put you through :hihi:

I am in S12, and use EE, up to last November I was on standard BB which was less than 2mb download. They mailed to say they were putting the price up, they also had a fixed price offer on fibre £25 for 18 months which was about 50p more than the standard would be after the increase. The only thing I lost was the free evening and weekend calls but as I never use the landline it made no difference.

Extract from a chat with TT when they increased my prices and negotiations with their Loyalty Team:

"Me:*What length is £24.50 for then?

TT Chat:

The £24.50 is for 24 months, however the boosts will run out of discounts in five months.

Me:*What are the current two boosts then as you only mentioned UK calls.

TT Chat:

The other is the fibre speed boost, which allows your speed to be an average of 63mbps.

Me:*That is unrealistic as I don't live on a road with fibre to the house. That is why I had the obsolete medium fibre package.

TT chat:

Would you like to cancel off the fibre speed boost?

Me:*What will the speed be without? At the moment all I get is 2 mbps.

TT Chat:

J, you are not getting 2mbps. My system shows that with boost you are receiving*79.7 mbps on your lowest download.

TT Chat:

Without the boost, you get an average of 35mbps.

Me:*When I download GNU/Linux isos it only shows 2 mbps if I'm lucky due to copper connection to the cabinet at the bottom of the road

TT Chat:

I see, may I ask if you have you spoke to our technical team before about this matter?

TT Chat:

spoken*

Me:*There is physically no point unless they have the alchemy skills to turn copper into glass! LOL!"

Need I say more? :hihi: