The New Moor Market

Just seen today in the city centre a group of people wearing T shirts with "Save your Moor Market" written on, is there something I don't know ?

Perhaps there is a Castle under it waiting tobe discovered:rant:

Edited by Albert smith

Council killed off the proper City Centre when they moved Castle Market down to The Moor. Our City Centre is a complete joke and laughing stock. I also feel embarrassed that all the major venues/infrastructure for visitors are in the proper end of town around Castlegate/Cathedral and that end of town has just been left to rot, especially since Castle market, Primark and other shops have vacated... Fargate looks to be going the same way now too!

Council killed off the proper City Centre when they moved Castle Market down to The Moor. Our City Centre is a complete joke and laughing stock. I also feel embarrassed that all the major venues/infrastructure for visitors are in the proper end of town around Castlegate/Cathedral and that end of town has just been left to rot, especially since Castle market, Primark and other shops have vacated... Fargate looks to be going the same way now too!

That's about the way I see it too. Just seen that Sainsbury's is downsizing so that looks like another nail in the coffin. We could not get a lot of the stuff we usually get so we have decided that one week in every two it will be Sainsbury's at Archer Road for us which means that one week in two we will not be visiting the market.

Said exactly as it is. Sheffield Centre is a laughing stock

There's no atmosphere in the 'new' market. Years ago when we had the Sheaf, Castle and Open markets it was a real experience to shop in them. Does anyone remember the real show 'Potty' Edwards used to put on selling crockery? Seeing someone having their nails done in the Moor market just doesn't compare. The only part that seems to have atmosphere and thrive is the food court

There's no atmosphere in the 'new' market. Years ago when we had the Sheaf, Castle and Open markets it was a real experience to shop in them. Does anyone remember the real show 'Potty' Edwards used to put on selling crockery? Seeing someone having their nails done in the Moor market just doesn't compare. The only part that seems to have atmosphere and thrive is the food court

Yes indeed, I remember potty Edwards throwing entire dinner services around along with the patter. Never dropped a thing. And then there were the vendors calls from the fruit and veg benches, and the men, fag in mouth, pushing trolleys full of spuds and cabbages to and fro.

Real bustle, colour and personality.

All sadly missing from the new Moor Market.

Yes indeed, I remember potty Edwards throwing entire dinner services around along with the patter. Never dropped a thing. And then there were the vendors calls from the fruit and veg benches, and the men, fag in mouth, pushing trolleys full of spuds and cabbages to and fro.

Street life Anna ,the planners have killed the noisy, smelly, laughing ,crying every day Street life ,they have tried to take it into a linear show case on the Moor another old traditional area that they have ruined by cutting it off with a wall at the bottom, take a look at George Cunningham paintings and roor .

its crap compared to the old marke

Don't worry peeps , its all part of the Masterplan

Guest makapaka

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.