Channel 4 HQ - Sheffield

I wonder if this announcement will sway favour for Liverpool in any way.

Twickenham Studios to open Liverpool outpost

Art deco building that was once home to Littlewoods could become ‘Hollywood of the north’

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/06/twickenham-studios-to-open-liverpool-outpost

I wonder if this announcement will sway favour for Liverpool in any way.

Twickenham Studios to open Liverpool outpost

Art deco building that was once home to Littlewoods could become ‘Hollywood of the north’

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/06/twickenham-studios-to-open-liverpool-outpost

Probably not, but there have been an awful lot of production companies setting up out posts in the north west since media city really got going.

Can't say I'm at all surprised. I really hope that Leeds gets it, so that at least Yorkshire will still benefit, rather than Manchester which already has Media City UK (and is surely favourite to win?) as well as Birmingham.

Such a shame as we could have done with that.

The Northern media city was created with a backdrop of constant criticism of the national media being London centric, so they set up you know where, well next door in Salford. Now they are Manchester centric.

May I be amongst the first of Sheffielders to congratulations Leeds! Well deserved. A dynamic forward thinking Yorkshire city.

So that's part of the price of giving away our HS2 station and airport then

That land being the airport that Boeing has just built their first European Factory on then?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/boeing-sheffield-new-factory-manufacturing-uk-jobs-engineers-mechanics-portland-oregon-a8600946.html

May I be amongst the first of Sheffielders to congratulations Leeds! Well deserved. A dynamic forward thinking Yorkshire city.

A shame that Sheffield didn't win the bid, but I'm glad that Leeds has got it.

A shame that Sheffield didn't win the bid, but I'm glad that Leeds has got it.

I don't think our joke council made a bid. Just as well; it would have been money down the drain.

I don't think our joke council made a bid. Just as well; it would have been money down the drain.

The council did make a bid for it and we made the shortlist.

I'm guessing that with the other broadcasters having substantial operations in Leeds then, the infrastructre to host an organisation like Channel 4 will already be there and that played a big part in the decision.

However, Leeds isn't far away and we've a thread on the go at the minute discussing commuting options so there will be some jobs for sheffield people with the ambition do drive a few miles up the motorway or get on a train.