Nasty crash on Penistone Rd 21/05/2018

are you drumming up business by encouraging people to break the law?

it's not stupid at all, penistone road goes through areas which are heavily used by pedestrians with little or no separation between pedestrian and vehicle.

from what I saw of the crash, a more likely explanation is that someone ignored the red lights are the junction with albert terrace road.

Really? I hardly ever see any pedestrians on that stretch particularly.

Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told during all the "upgrading" that the speed limit would be raised to 40mph?

I wonder what the cost of this accident will be compared with the cost of some speed cameras

The speed limit on there does annoy me but it makes no difference to skipping red lights. A woman is has suffered bad leg injuries because some pillock thought the law didn't apply to him.

Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told during all the "upgrading" that the speed limit would be raised to 40mph?

I wonder what the cost of this accident will be compared with the cost of some speed cameras

IIRC, I heard it explained (possibly by Planner1) that it had been intended to make it a 40 limit, but some of the existing junction designs didn’t meet the current standard required to allow a change to 40, and there wasn’t any money available to upgrade them.

I may have misunderstood, but I believe existing 40 limits can remain even if road design does not meet current design standards, but speed limits cannot be increased unless current standards are met. Or maybe that nobody would take a risk by signing off a change that was not fully up to date.

Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.

Err...yes they should because that's the speed limit. Whether or not it's stupid is irrelevant.

30MPH speed limit on a duel carriageway isnt stupid , its downright moronic.

Wasn't this road a 40 limit some time ago?

IIRC, I heard it explained (possibly by Planner1) that it had been intended to make it a 40 limit, but some of the existing junction designs didn’t meet the current standard required to allow a change to 40, and there wasn’t any money available to upgrade them.

I may have misunderstood, but I believe existing 40 limits can remain even if road design does not meet current design standards, but speed limits cannot be increased unless current standards are met. Or maybe that nobody would take a risk by signing off a change that was not fully up to date.

That's as I recall it to. I think cyclesheffield were opposed to increasing the limit without a proper segregated cycle route (this being standard design these days). The alternative route proposed was dangerous with tram tracks and they were just reducing the tram gate restriction making it busier with vehicles.

It turned out it was a moot point anyway because the cost to upgrade it for a higher speed was prohibitive,. It was not just the speed limit signs but the other signage at junctions all needed to be upgraded for 40 mph. It came in way over the budget they had allowed for

I think the modelling of the speed limit at 40mph given the many times you have to stop at red lights and junctions showed no cost benefit and the idea was shelved.

Edited to say Ive found the story. It was back in 2014

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-speed-limit-plan-shelved-1-6672393

Edited by WalkleyIan

Wasn't this road a 40 limit some time ago?

No, the rumour (can't remember if it was ever confirmed) is that the council originally 'forgot' to apply for the TRO when the road was first built.

And then instead installed a speed camera on the inbound side.

Of course the majority of traffic travels at around 40mph except directly past the camera, and as the earlier video shows a few cars much faster.

That junction is renowned for crashes like this. I can recall 3 at least in the past few years, all caused by people going through a red. I drive on there a lot and as you approach that junction on the dual carriageway and the lights go green, I’ve seen numerous cars come through obviously on a red down the hill. Maybe the sequence on the lights needs to be extended so once one set is red, the other set don’t go to red/Amber for a couple of seconds.

I drive on there a lot and as you approach that junction on the dual carriageway and the lights go green, I’ve seen numerous cars come through obviously on a red down the hill.

Yes, it's so bad that I kind of 'hang back' approaching that junction shortly after the lights have gone green. I'm always expecting one last car to come flying through on red down the hill. It definitely needs another couple of seconds of red between the the two sets of lights.

It definitely needs a red light camera on the side road, that would fix it.

Changing the light sequence would be much cheaper though.

Changing the light sequence would be much cheaper though.

That's more like treating the symptom though, catching drivers who run red lights will get them removed from the roads and make everyone safer.

Imagine how much the emergency services and medical treatment from this one incident cost!