IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Time to turn things off and make adjustments

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

16-05-2018, 00:20   #21
AlexAtkin

Total Posts: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
Hi Alex, good advice - also stated in this Daily Mail article - I also did not know that microwaves leak through walls!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...t-leaking.html

Well WiFi wouldn't work if it couldn't.

Honestly if you take all this to its natural conclusion, we should all stop using electricity, period. But that's just silly as electrical devices have extended our lives well beyond the point where how much it reduces them is relevant.

Without electrical devices I would have died at birth!
_______
ISP: Zen Router: Intel DN2800MT (pfSense) Avg Speed: 64Mbit Exchange: Intake

Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & Nintendo: AlexAtkinUK
16-05-2018, 10:37   #22
TimmyR

Total Posts: 2,849
Whenever I read horror stories about things like this, I always wonder how anyone who thinks we're all dying because of terrible things like microwaves (or non-alkali diets, or wifi, or chemtrails or ghosts or whatever) can explain the steady increase in life expectancy we have seen over the last hundred years.

Also, microwaves don't cause cancer. If you've watched the video, do also have a read of this: https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org...ave-radiation/
_______
Unless...

Last edited by TimmyR; 16-05-2018 at 10:48.
16-05-2018, 12:03   #23
AlexAtkin

I think the real issue is EVERYONE has their own sensitivities. Some people are more prone to cancer so things which might not typically cause cancer can increase your chances if you are genetically prone to it. But avoiding all those things is outright impossible.

I myself have plenty of allergies (though thankfully less than my mum). I'm sensitive to perfume, spray deodorant, smoke, dust, pollen, many handwashes, cold water (I have blood flow issues in my hands), but nobody is catering to my issues, I have to live with it.

There is no telling if any of those are increasing my risk of lung cancer.

If we banned everything people might be sensitive to, it would cause far bigger problems for everyone.

Heck, I have hayfever but totally support keeping our healthy street trees. Because the benefits far outweigh the down sides, the same with WiFi, cell phones, etc.
_______

16-05-2018, 13:35   #24
TimmyR

Total Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAtkin View Post
I think the real issue is EVERYONE has their own sensitivities. Some people are more prone to cancer so things which might not typically cause cancer can increase your chances if you are genetically prone to it. But avoiding all those things is outright impossible.

I myself have plenty of allergies (though thankfully less than my mum). I'm sensitive to perfume, spray deodorant, smoke, dust, pollen, many handwashes, cold water (I have blood flow issues in my hands), but nobody is catering to my issues, I have to live with it.

There is no telling if any of those are increasing my risk of lung cancer.

If we banned everything people might be sensitive to, it would cause far bigger problems for everyone.

Heck, I have hayfever but totally support keeping our healthy street trees. Because the benefits far outweigh the down sides, the same with WiFi, cell phones, etc.
Its true, there are lifelong smokers who die in their 90s "of natural causes" and people who've never smoked who get lung cancer at 30. The difference is that there is considerable evidence that smoking increases the risk of cancer. I doubt there is any evidence to support microwaves causing cancer. personally I'm not ditching my microwave because some unscientifically backed loon on you tube tells me to.
_______
Unless...

Last edited by TimmyR; 16-05-2018 at 13:38.
16-05-2018, 17:32   #25
AlexAtkin

Evidence is a problem, because you could also argue that nobody wants to DO the research in case it DOES prove a link. We saw that with smoking for years.

We know radio signals/EMF CAN cause problems at certain power levels, what we don't know is if this mix of difference signals we are subjected to at low levels actually does.

Logically they can kill off cells, but then so does a lot of things, even washing your hands stresses your cells. As we said before though, mortality rate does not reflect that because as quickly as we come up with something that reduces your life, science comes up with something that also extends it. Those things that extend it depend on the things that likely reduce it, so you can only really weigh the options.

As I said earlier, without technology I would have died at birth. Without technology my life would be even more miserable than it already is (although maybe people would be MORE sociable without social media, who knows). So ultimately, I think its a net-gain.
_______

Last edited by AlexAtkin; 16-05-2018 at 17:35.
16-05-2018, 20:05   #26
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Evidence is a problem, because you could also argue that nobody wants to DO the research in case it DOES prove a link. We saw that with smoking for years.

We know radio signals/EMF CAN cause problems at certain power levels, what we don't know is if this mix of difference signals we are subjected to at low levels actually does.

Logically they can kill off cells, but then so does a lot of things, even washing your hands stresses your cells. As we said before though, mortality rate does not reflect that because as quickly as we come up with something that reduces your life, science comes up with something that also extends it. Those things that extend it depend on the things that likely reduce it, so you can only really weigh the options.

As I said earlier, without technology I would have died at birth. Without technology my life would be even more miserable than it already is (although maybe people would be MORE sociable without social media, who knows). So ultimately, I think its a net-gain.
Well EMF site at Gokona in Nova Scotia was shut down because they improved the site at Halifax. I stumbled across a poster who flew over the one in an aeroplane who did some research and I should have taken a screenshot of the US Military Papers which stated their aim to control weather systems by 2025. Are we forgetting that Mr Trower was trained specifically in the field of Microwaves, has degrees in the relevant fields and probably knows more about how microwaves are used as a weapon than anyone on here? So Obelix, will you have a debate with Mr Trower?
16-05-2018, 20:38   #27
ENG601PM

Total Posts: 1,473
Quote:

We know radio signals/EMF CAN cause problems at certain power levels, what we don't know is if this mix of difference signals we are subjected to at low levels actually does..
What problems specifically and how?
16-05-2018, 23:57   #28
AlexAtkin

Okay maybe know is a strong word, but I believe there are documented increases in cancer sufferers who live near overhead power lines.

I admit its some years since I read about it so maybe its been proven as fake news since, you never know.
_______

18-05-2018, 01:02   #29
Dude111

Total Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43
@Dude111 - you should be more concerned with Wi-Fi and mobile technology - read the pdf!
Indeed bud. 5G is the worst!!
18-05-2018, 03:39   #30
AlexAtkin

Honestly, people said that about 2G, then 3G, then 4G. I'm utterly SHOCKED to hear that once again the latest version, 5G, is now also "the worst and going to kill us all".

Its literally been said about every single advance in technology, yet life expectancy continued to climb. Until austerity that it.
_______

18-05-2018, 07:33   #31
ENG601PM

Quote:
Okay maybe know is a strong word, but I believe there are documented increases in cancer sufferers who live near overhead power lines.

I admit its some years since I read about it so maybe its been proven as fake news since, you never know.
I hope that you are open to some better information. I found that this article pulled together lots of good data and studies.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens.../#6e10d01d6497

Conclusion; overhead power lines don't cause cancer.
18-05-2018, 07:45   #32
Cyclone

Total Posts: 72,004
But they might cause Leukemia (a form of childhood cancer apparently)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931365/

But the evidence so far isn't statistically proven, nor disproven.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q4

And depends on a particularly high magnetic field being present in the home.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
18-05-2018, 08:01   #33
ENG601PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
But they might cause Leukemia (a form of childhood cancer apparently)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4931365/

But the evidence so far isn't statistically proven, nor disproven.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q4

And depends on a particularly high magnetic field being present in the home.
Even "might" is pushing it a bit. It's interesting, but straw clutching in any risk appraisal. File alongside Study finds that boxing gloves may prevent blindness.
18-05-2018, 13:55   #34
AlexAtkin

Basically as credible as everything else in this thread though.

In related news, I find that if I stand next to a decent sized open air substation I somehow feel more energised. (pun intended) Absolutely not joking, it was quite a revelation.
_______

Last edited by AlexAtkin; 18-05-2018 at 13:57.
18-05-2018, 14:06   #35
ENG601PM

Quote:
Basically as credible as everything else in this thread though.

In related news, I find that if I stand next to a decent sized open air substation I somehow feel more energised. (pun intended) Absolutely not joking, it was quite a revelation.
I believe that's ionised air. It's the same effect that you feel and smell before a thunderstorm and it's not dangerous unless you get a million volts of it
21-05-2018, 11:58   #36
AlexAtkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng601pm View Post
i believe that's ionised air. It's the same effect that you feel and smell before a thunderstorm and it's not dangerous unless you get a million volts of it
I want ALL THE VOLTS!

Darn it Sheffield Forum, how dare you refuse my all caps sentence, its vitally important to get the point across!
_______

Reply To Topic