Martin Lewis Last week

He suggested that people that were disabled could claim a council tax reduction by getting in touch with there council and ask about an SMI reduction he quoted someone who had a stroke or Parkinsons could enquire. I contacted Rotherham Council they sent me a form. The form comprised of three sheets nothing saying who it included what types of Disablity. It Suggested statury Mental impairment nothing else. But when I did ask I was quoted if you recieved several disability allowances you could apply. Nothing mationed on there paperwork. a copy has to bw authorised by your GP but it is worthwhile giving them a ring your own council. But I don't know if and how long it may be back dated.

You can get a discount on your council tax from Sheffield Council if you use a wheelchair in your home.I have received this they just send someone round to check. I received in a month after applying and it was backdated by 3 months.

Everyone unemployed or disabled should periodically contact the council and DSS and ask what they can get help with. It is your right to be given the correct information.

Self employed people should ring the tax office they are obligated to give you the correct information - not to help you avoid paying tax btw.

Everyone unemployed or disabled should periodically contact the council and DSS and ask what they can get help with. It is your right to be given the correct information.

Self employed people should ring the tax office they are obligated to give you the correct information - not to help you avoid paying tax btw.

If Retired?

I believe it's is only for the Mental impaired. ...............

The council tax rules say that a person is exempt from council tax if they have a ‘severe mental impairment’. It says that "a person is severely mentally impaired if they have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent".

To get this you need a doctor to sign a medical certificate that says you are severely mentally impaired and get one of the following benefits:

DLA with the middle or highest rate care component

Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component (standard or enhanced rate)

Attendance Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance

Incapacity Benefit

Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance with a disability premium

Working Tax Credit with the disability element

This was on the news this morning and I haven't had time to really look into it, but I do know.........

1/ this is not upto the council to decide if they action this, IT IS THE LAW. They MUST award it to you .

2/ This can be BACK DATED, so if you were in this position three years ago they OWE YOU FOR THREE YEARS.

Rate deductions are as follows - A person living alone with this condition 100% rebate. In other words YOU should not pay council tax.

Two people living in the same house/flat etc. where one of you suffers from mental illness - You get a 25% reduction on your council Tax.

THIS IS LAW, don't get fobed off. Claim it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41420078

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/disco...isabled-people

You can apply for discounts here ----- https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/co...nts-exemptions

more info - https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1523920

Edited by Itrytoplease