Is Sheffield good for a night out? Why do other places seem better?

Do you get me, places such as Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle..

Whats your take on this?

manchester any day of the week!!

Not another one... :rolleyes:

I know................. :(

Whats up fellas?

There seems to be a lot of threads recently with members talking up Leeds and Manchester and bringing down Sheffield. What I don't understand with these people is why they don't move there.

Not getting at you in particular, just hope this thread doesn't go down the same route.

As a semi-outsider (I've only lived here for 3 years) I can tell you that there are places that are better than Sheffield (London, Manchester, Newcastle etc...) but there are significantly more worse places as well.

I have travelled all over the UK over the last 7 years and stayed over in various places. Trust me, be thankful that Sheffield is as good as it is.

The other man's grass is always greener.....

Not my saym so more a less, just hearsay from other people..

I went for a night out in Manchester and found that it was quite spread out!!! We enjoyed ourselves but struggled to find RnB places on a Friday night... Locals told me it was mostly dance music on a Fri... Huff!

It seems better because its unfamiliar.

That and manchester actually is loads better!

Problem is everything in Sheffield is all the same, except for the excellent pubs serving excellent beer on the periphery of the town centre and in the case of The Dev. Cat in it, everywhere else is so soul-less and sticky floored. Division Street used to be a little bit special but every bar is just an anonymous drinking hole now, usually pretty ropey music and equally ropey drinks and bar staff, unfortunately some places also have delusions of being somehow exclusive. Also the lack of restaurants and quieter bars means you tend to just get one crowd. I've lived here 7 years, I love the city, wouldn't wish to live in Leeds, Manchester or Newcastle but tend to avoid Sheffield City Centre for nights out these days.