Unchanged, Authentic Pubs?

We all know the pub experience is dying. What pub can you think of that still retains the patina of many years of drinkers, does not have some fancy bar food menu, and just carries on year after year as the same as it used to be? I would like to compile a list and then drink my way around them before they are all replaced with bistros.

The White Lion at Heeley? Still has three small tap rooms!

There are still several lurking around the city centre such as The Grapes, The Dog & Partridge, The Red Deer, The Bath Hotel.

The Crossfield Tavern on Mortomley Lane, S35.

Fagan's on Broad Lane.

Think you'll find that every pub has, at some time, had some modernisation. Look at the ceiling and see if it shows signs of where walls originally divided the building into smaller rooms.

Sadly, a lot of pubs were ruined for good when everything went 'open plan' in the 70s and 80s. Many a pub ruined, IMO.

Am I correct in thinking that only the Bath has a heritage pub award given for still being pretty authentic?

Fagan's on Broad Lane.

Think you'll find that every pub has, at some time, had some modernisation. Look at the ceiling and see if it shows signs of where walls originally divided the building into smaller rooms.

Sadly, a lot of pubs were ruined for good when everything went 'open plan' in the 70s and 80s. Many a pub ruined, IMO.

Oh, I have done this many times... ;)

I'm not sure that you can say that the Bath Hotel

still retains the patina of many years of drinkers

given the dingy paint job that Thornbridge has inflicted on it. Although in terms of bar, floor and layout, it's pretty unchanged. The Red Deer and Fagan's have remained pretty much unchanged as long as I remember. And though I don't much rate the beer in the Red Lion on Charles Street, it does still have a snug.

Edited by Mouserat
Attributing quote.

Not Sheffield, but has anyone been to The Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton near Carsington Water? Probably unchanged since about 1800!!!! Great beers served from casks which rely on gravity to fill your jug.

Great unique little pub.

hen and chickens .its been untouched for years

Not Sheffield, but has anyone been to The Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton near Carsington Water? Probably unchanged since about 1800!!!! Great beers served from casks which rely on gravity to fill your jug.

Great unique little pub.

Like that? Then you'd love the Three Stags Head at Wardlow Mires.

Just don't ask for Coke and DO say hello to the stuffed cat in the 'bar'.

Accommodation is available: out in the farm shed with the cows.