Gleadless Road (near Jeffery Street) Heeley

I'm thinking of moving to this area as I've found a lovely house, however a few people have warned me that 500 metres up the road is not so nice and to be careful, especially as I will be commuting to/from work (town centre) on foot. The house is only 5 minutes from Heeley Farm which always seems like a really nice area, so I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the few things I've heard with what I've seen.

I've lived in what are deemed to be "undesirable" areas before and often find the reputation to be worse than reality and I just wondered if anyone had any actual experiences to share (good or bad) on this particular end of town, rather than just hearsay. Is it so bad? And if so, what am I risk of? Burglary? Muggings? Murder? Rape? Or just a bit of abuse from a few bored, gobby idiots?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

I've never known of any trouble around the Heeley area so I would imagine it's just your usual anti-social behaviour, if anything. I don't think it's the richest area in Sheffield but that doesn't mean it's a bad area. It's funny but 500m can be plenty in terms of what your area is like - I live close to a "dodgy" area and we have been burgled but even the police were surprised, but I would just say keep your usual wits about you, don't leave your house unlocked etc etc, all the usual stuff really. We love Sheffield! :-)

a few people have warned me that 500 metres up the road is not so nice and to be careful,

i think most of us live near some where thats not nice, thats the way England is these days

My Bold

I live quite close to the farm, a bit closer to the A61. I've been here nearly 20 years and have never had a moment's bother. It's great.

I do tend to think that people scaremonger a bit about anything and everything. I think you'll love it.

Good luck.

S

Edited by Solitaire

I live quite close to the farm, a bit closer to the A61. I've been here nearly 20years and have never had a moment's bother. It's great.

I do tend to think that people scaremonger a bit about anything and everything. I think you'll love it.

Good luck.

S

Thank you :-)

I work in that particular area and ive always found it to be a quiet, plesant area. The only problem I have is getting through the traffic in the mornings but if youve on foot dont this with bother you.

I have lived in the Heeley area for 38 years and apart from the odd incident, I have never had a problem. The people are friendly and will make you welcome I'm sure.

I have lived in the Heeley area for 38 years and apart from the odd incident, I have never had a problem. The people are friendly and will make you welcome I'm sure.

Heeley's a big area, and there is more than "the odd incident" that occurs, but it depends on where you live. the farm has had issues - people breaking in and killing the pigs.

there's been shootings

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72770

arson

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9001023204/firefighters-confirm-arson-caused-heeley-blaze--AT-broadfield-road

It depends on which road you're on - where i am, theres the odd break in and anti social behaviour but its generally ok.

So do your own research, drive round on weekend evenings etc, and remember that each road is very different in Sheffield

I live about 1/2 mile up the road. The area you mean are derby street flats. I get no trouble from that area. I also often walk down past the flats and the road you want to move too, never no problems. It's not good on the eye and some of the flats look like an old shanty town. check the sy police website. I wouldn't see why you would need to venture up that way, heeley farm is towards town.