Pubs in Crookes

Hallamshire good with nice Thornbridge ales. Friendly staff who will let you sample the beers before you decide which one you want.

I would recomenned the Ball too, Im not a regular but never feel "out of place" when i do pay a visit.

Try the Closed Shop and the Hallamshire, which are not in Walkley as some forum members think.

No, they're in Commonside right?

I would try the Closed Shop. Lovely atmosphere, nice selection of drinks, but it can get a bit 'studenty' on the busier week nights.

Despite Crookes having a reputation for being good for it's nice local pubs, I'd have to say that The Ball is the only one I would recommend, and even that's not great - just an average large pub

Hallamshire good with nice Thornbridge ales. Friendly staff who will let you sample the beers before you decide which one you want.

another vote for the Hallamshire here. It's a lovely traditional place with real fires and good beer and a nice crowd too. It's not so far from Crookes, being at Commonside. You could easily walk it I'm sure. There's one opposite the Hallamshire which I haven't been in (is that the Closed Shop?) that looked nice too.

Agree the ball is my fav pub round there although did look a bit tierd last time I was in.

another vote for the Hallamshire here. It's a lovely traditional place with real fires and good beer and a nice crowd too. It's not so far from Crookes, being at Commonside. You could easily walk it I'm sure. There's one opposite the Hallamshire which I haven't been in (is that the Closed Shop?) that looked nice too.

Yes, that's the Closed Shop. The Hallamshire is nice, although not in any way as modern as most pubs in the area, or in my opinion as romantically old fashioned as others. It 's sort of one of those pubs which has aged, but without the benefit of gaining any sort of traditional charm. It's not bad, just a tad depressing

Yes, that's the Closed Shop. The Hallamshire is nice, although not in any way as modern as most pubs in the area, or in my opinion as romantically old fashioned as others. It 's sort of one of those pubs which has aged, but without the benefit of gaining any sort of traditional charm. It's not bad, just a tad depressing

Only been in the Hallamshire once Barry, but got a seat in the front room with the fire and thought it was very cosy in there. I like my real ale so the Thornbridge is a big draw for me. Will pop over the road next time and check out the Closed Shop as well.

My favourite is the Grindstone... can just go, get a bite to eat, relax and enjoy your night. Never any trouble and plenty of TV's around to watch the football.

Not been in the Punchbowl for a number of years, I used to go as a youngster to catch the United games on TV, but then they brought in a "no under 18's at any time" policy so I stopped.

Ball is nice but gets busy so work might be a struggle for you.

Noah's as previously stated is very much a local pub with familiar faces there every night. Probably wouldnt enjoy it unless you know someone who knows someone who knows the owner...

The Hallamshire is nice, although not in any way as modern as most pubs in the area, or in my opinion as romantically old fashioned as others. It 's sort of one of those pubs which has aged, but without the benefit of gaining any sort of traditional charm. It's not bad, just a tad depressing

Have you been in since the refurb? Your description sounds like what this pub was like before - which I would agree was a bit tired and scuffed round the edges, though still a good pub. It's a lot better now I'd say.

But, like the Closed Shop, it's not in Crookes so shouldn't be in this thread anyway!

No, they're in Commonside right?

I would try the Closed Shop. Lovely atmosphere, nice selection of drinks, but it can get a bit 'studenty' on the busier week nights.

Despite Crookes having a reputation for being good for it's nice local pubs, I'd have to say that The Ball is the only one I would recommend, and even that's not great - just an average large pub

Yes, they have an S10 postcode.

My favourite is the Grindstone... can just go, get a bite to eat, relax and enjoy your night. Never any trouble and plenty of TV's around to watch the football.

Not been in the Punchbowl for a number of years, I used to go as a youngster to catch the United games on TV, but then they brought in a "no under 18's at any time" policy so I stopped.

Ball is nice but gets busy so work might be a struggle for you.

Noah's as previously stated is very much a local pub with familiar faces there every night. Probably wouldnt enjoy it unless you know someone who knows someone who knows the owner...

The Gindstone is ok, albeit modelled on PeeWee's playhouse for some unknown reason. If I were blind it would be my favourite pub in Crookes

Thanks for your replies everyone.:) Sounds like there are quite a few pubs to explore!

It's amazing how difficult it is to find a (lone) female-friendly pub! Although I recently went to Wetherspoons in town (with a friend) and saw a lady sat on her own reading, with a glass of wine. That filled me with some hope :-)

Edited by SilverRain