Carvery at the Crosspool Tavern

I would like to know what you get at the 4 euro carvery in Germany!

It 3 quid, to be honest regardless of quality, you could barely buy it, cook and clean the pots for that.

I agree- you pay for what you get, if you would have taken them just a little further up the road to the sportsman you would have gotten quality, fresh food for just a few pounds more.

The price wasn't an issue it was the convenience as we were in the area,I used to go to the Tavern a few years ago and the food was excellent then and I based our visit on it's past reputation sadly its gone down the pan since then just like the food we ate!.Anymore chastising about punctuation on this thread and I will report it to the mods.

you have to be there at 12 midday to get the food piping hot---but really where can you get a good meal like that for under a fiver

Today I took some german visitors to the Crosspool Tavern and was really disappointed with the meal,it was cold,the turkey was so dry it must have lived in the desert,the roast potatoes must have come from Readymix and lubricated with Castrol oil,all in all the meal was crap,when my wife went for coffee she told them about it and they did apologise and gave us the coffee.when the waiter collected the plates he asked how the meal was so I told him I also told him the knives wouldn't cut butter and they should replace them after all this is Sheffield what kind off message is this sending out to foreign visitors,in all the years I have been to Germany I have never had a poor meal.Our visitors being polite said it was ok but no it definitely wasn,t come on CTs pull your socks up or there will be apartments on the site soon!:(:(:(

I'm sure they realised that the reason the food was bad, was cos the food was cheap! It's cheaper than a sandwich, and for that it's not that bad really... You get what you pay for here and in Germany, so they will understand that...

I go regularly on a sunday for the cavery and NEVER have i had a bad meal! So must be different in the week. Their gammon is to die for!!!

Went to the CT on Sunday for breakfast as it is advertised at £2.95, which sounds a bargain; but to get tea and toast with that is another £2.....as we were leaving, at just before 11.00 am, the turkey and pork for Sunday lunch were already out on the carvery, so it's probably no wonder it isn't very good.

The price wasn't an issue it was the convenience as we were in the area,I used to go to the Tavern a few years ago and the food was excellent then and I based our visit on it's past reputation sadly its gone down the pan since then just like the food we ate!.Anymore chastising about punctuation on this thread and I will report it to the mods.

Oooooh ! Put your toys back in your pram. CT is crap, has been for years and probably will be for years to come. If you were that bothered about impressing your German friends maybe you should've done some research on eating out rather than just going for convienience.

I agree- you pay for what you get, if you would have taken them just a little further up the road to the sportsman you would have gotten quality, fresh food for just a few pounds more.

I couldn't agree more. I Live in Crosspool but would always chose to go up to The Sportsman for pub food over the Tavern.

Don't know why your moaning? You obviously have very deep pockets, taking guests for a carvery? what do you expect? especially the crosspool tavern carvery? jee why dont you really push the boat out next time and take them to Mcdonalds? Better still, maybe greggs for that real taste of Britain. Maybe ask for advice next time you friends come back over, having said that, they'll probably get there own guide and take you out based on their last experience. Rant over.

I dont know what people have to moan about. Its yummy, meat is beautiful and they bring fresh joints out all the time, never gets chance to sit lof as its so busy. There green beans and roasties are my fave! Again, constantly bringing fresh out. In fact ive been to caverys at various places, some much much higher in price and theyve not been as nice!

It is so subjective. One man's cheap crappy meal is another man's gourmet delight. I remember once having a buffet and thinking how poor it was at the same time as a lady was saying how nice it looked. Guess you just have to take pot luck - or do as I do and never bother eating out. Unless you are getting it for free, like the above buffet.

(Hope my punctuation is correct and I don't get arrested by the punctuation police. What's next on the agenda? The grammar gestapo?)