Rotherham Beer Festival 2011

Went last night. Thought it was quite good. As with the Oakwood one in the dreaded tent, some of the rooms are ridiculously cold, which in my opinion doesn't enhance the flavour of the beer and only serves to freeze my hands off (take a coat!). They have a good and broad selection though, in a selection of rooms, so very similar to the old Oakwood style. Didn't have any food there, so can't comment. Watched treebeard. They were the same as usual - quite entertaining! Selection of beer (with exception of Hampshire and Cumbria) is very focused on the local region, as per usual at this festival: so probably not much good for tickers! I spotted at least two barley wines and a few old ales Doom, so not a bad selection of stronger brews. There were quite a few people there, but not as busy as it could be - this is probably due to the horrific pricing structure for non-CAMRA members! Beers are £2.60 a pint (+ loose change for stronger beers). There were about as many security guards as at a football match, which I found quite funny - complete overkill! That's about it :)

Bet it'll be busier tonight. Will be there from 6.

..... I spotted at least two barley wines and a few old ales Doom, so not a bad selection of stronger brews....

I tried a Cumbrian No 9 Barley Wine (8.5%) on Wednesday - very warming and lovely! Think it was a voucher (£1.30) + 50p.

Word of warning - there's a Clarkson's festival special (Magnanimous I think it's called) at 8.3% in the West Yorkshire room - avoid it! It's utterly vile. My other half poured it away.... something I've never known him do before!

im currently reading this having drank a couple of bottles of marstons s,p,a and im now on the marstons owd roger, id never even heard of this festival but ill be swerving it as im not paying £9 to get in somewhere and spend my money

im currently reading this having drank a couple of bottles of marstons s,p,a and im now on the marstons owd roger, id never even heard of this festival but ill be swerving it as im not paying £9 to get in somewhere and spend my money

Well probably similar logic as to why I wouldn't pay the extorniate amount Sheffield United charge to go and watch other people play football and spend money on crap beer and crap food.

Yes you can sit at home and drink bottled beer from big national or international brewers for less but the beer festival is a big event with a choice of over 200 draught beers from craft brewers (some of which you won't see elsewhere) plus real traditional ciders, these are across 11 bars in an atmospheric venue with live music across several stages also included in the price along with a souvenier glass.

Last day of the festival today, I'll be back there, it has been a good event.

The website - http://www.magnarealale.co.uk - advance tickets are available on line on a print at home basis, you can also buy advance tickets from selected pubs (including the Rutland Arms in Sheffield City Centre).

Getting there - bus 69 Sheffield Interchange to Rotherham Interchange stops outside Magna, this is operated by First until 8pm and Stagecoach after 8pm. Normal tickets/fares apply. There is a special festival shuttle bus (route BF1) too which runs from Meadowhall Interchange and Rotherham Interchange non stop to the festival front door, a flat fare of £1 single or return applies to all passengers on this bus.

I was serving on the South Yorkshire Bar on Thursday night, lots of new ales such as Toad from Doncaster and all the usual favorites. The Cider bar was really busy

It was quite busy on Thursday with a few beers being replaced for new barrels etc.

Well you are missing out.

Went last night and it is much better at Magna that it was at the school - much more space and no queues for the toilets.

Its well worth the £9 entrance fee for the chance to sample a brilliant selection of beers.

Went last night and it was excellent. Really busy too.

Well you are missing out.

Went last night and it is much better at Magna that it was at the school - much more space and no queues for the toilets.

Its well worth the £9 entrance fee for the chance to sample a brilliant selection of beers.

This. I take back what I said in the OP! Not to worry about the Rotherham crawl either, we ended up going around the pubs first :)

Well I take it all back.

Went saturday night and it was really good. Early on still had a very good selection, and later on after too many champagne ciders, and being suitably refreshed, eager to try anything.

Live ents excellent.

Long may it thrive.