What makes a good late night bar/club ?

as for location - what about a late bar/club near fitzalan square?

as for the vast majority of Bar/Club owners are cryin in there beer and are heavly dependant on prozac - surely its a case of offering what people want? Sheffield after all is a Uni town and there are enough punters about?

At risk of a sensible, non-political answer, I think it depends who you want to attract I guess, which will mainly come down to decor, price and music. My only suggestion would be not to 'self-proclaim' yourself to be anything, as you will inevitably end up being the opposite. You say you're 'the place to be seen' and you'll soon be full of knobs and be 'the place not to be seen dead in'.

At the end of the day, there's two routes to go down - you want a Players-a-like cattle market then that shouldn't be too difficult to acheive (not saying they don't work hard, just mean it's hardly a mysterious formula). Doing something more subtle and, dare I say, 'cool', I think is a bit more difficult to put your finger on.

What sort of target market are you going for?

From my point of view (late 20s) there are a couple of things I'd like to see in Sheffield.

1. A bar/pub where you can sit down and hear each other talk - no problem with this on a week night, but it's so hard to find somewhere on a weekend night. You generally have to go somewhere you have to stand up and shout at each other over the music OR a 'proper pub'. There isn't much inbetween.

2. At 12-1pm when most of the bars close it would be great to have somewhere you could go and continue chatting/drinking/dancing without having to pay to get in. Generally you have to either go home or pay to get in somewhere. I thought Soyo was on the right lines with this but it gets busier every time I go and the music isn't as good as it used to be.

Regarding Fitzalan Square location, I wouldn't head down there normally, but if a place opened that was worth going to, then it wouldn't be a problem - I could tie it in with going to the Wig & Pen or Kelham Island. It would have to be reliable though, somewhere you'd be able to stay for the duration - you wouldn't easily be able to bar hop down there so personally I'd need to be confident that I'd get a seat and enjoy the atmosphere before heading down there late at night.

Stuart you are 100% correct, Unfortunatley Sheffield is a student town which means Cheap give away promos..more whetherspoons than any other city outside london..FACT...Whetherspoons = no life,When the students GO HOME, 7 MONTHS OF THE YEAR Sheffield city center becomes a desert. Every Late Bar / Niteclub are prayin for Freshers Sept/Oct to come along and save them FACT...Sheffield has become UNI DRIVEN = CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP :gag:

The licensing laws were perfectly ok ! Relaxin them has been an unmitigated disaster..

How has it been an "unmitigated disaster"?

Obviously you don't appreciate a bad nightclub that smells like chicken nuggets and prefer the likes of the amazing Corporation.

Exactly, couldn't agree more

I cant imagine going to Fitzalan Sqaure for a late night drink. It's the wrong part of town. Try and get a location with decent level of passing trade.

Sheffield is completely student driven midweek but not on the weekends so you need a venue that appeals to both students and locals alike. Alot of late bars/clubs are going for straight up commercial cheddar seven nights a week at the moment, I'm pretty sure we dont need any more of that!

What sort of target market are you going for?

From my point of view (late 20s) there are a couple of things I'd like to see in Sheffield.

1. A bar/pub where you can sit down and hear each other talk - no problem with this on a week night, but it's so hard to find somewhere on a weekend night. You generally have to go somewhere you have to stand up and shout at each other over the music OR a 'proper pub'. There isn't much inbetween.

I agree on this (not just because I'm becoming a nearly-thirty fogey either). I think a few too many places are trying to be a bar AND club at the same time.

As has been said elsewhere, there's a number of places that are great mid-week and then at weekends suddenly start playing music so loud that the speakers are distorting (I'm looking at you, Bungalows and Bears ;))

More often than not, we just want to keep chatting over a drink. But, as the bars become clubs, we find ourselves finding a quiet pub instead or just going home via the off-license.

as for the vast majority of Bar/Club owners are cryin in there beer and are heavly dependant on prozac - surely its a case of offering what people want? Sheffield after all is a Uni town and there are enough punters about?

It would be a BIG mistake opening up around there. You won't attract any of the students, you'll get alcoholics who loiter around the market/banned from Banquers Draft and the football fans on a Saturday.

A place on West St/Division St that is similar to Revolution would do very well. They cater for the students midweek (2 for 1 on most drinks) but at the weekend its packed with locals who don't want to be forced into chav bars like S1 or Players.

If you go down the cheap watered down pints of Carling route then you'll just attract the Players Bar crowd. Even though there's a recession on many people would rather pay a little extra for drinks to be able to enjoy an evening without some idiot bouncing up and down to Zombie Nation.

It would be a BIG mistake opening up around there. You won't attract any of the students, you'll get alcoholics who loiter around the market/banned from Banquers Draft and the football fans on a Saturday.

A place on West St/Division St that is similar to Revolution would do very well. They cater for the students midweek (2 for 1 on most drinks) but at the weekend its packed with locals who don't want to be forced into chav bars like S1 or Players.

If you go down the cheap watered down pints of Carling route then you'll just attract the Players Bar crowd. Even though there's a recession on many people would rather pay a little extra for drinks to be able to enjoy an evening without some idiot bouncing up and down to Zombie Nation.

players a CHAV bar????how do you work that out.bouncers wont let them in.its full of mainly students all week round!!!!best bar in town,good music,good atmosphere,dancers add a bit more entertainment.and prices are same as most places in town

u could open a club/late bar more or less anywhere.look at where plug/nocturnal/vibe are.they all do well.then u have o2 academy doing well.theres that many ways u cud do it.good look if you do open 1.

players a CHAV bar????how do you work that out.bouncers wont let them in.its full of mainly students all week round!!!!best bar in town,good music,good atmosphere,dancers add a bit more entertainment.and prices are same as most places in town

u could open a club/late bar more or less anywhere.look at where plug/nocturnal/vibe are.they all do well.then u have o2 academy doing well.theres that many ways u cud do it.good look if you do open 1.

Players is a god awful bar that attracts the Embrace "crew". Chavvy style music, awful dancers, horrible atmosphere and the usual sticky floor and disinfectant smell that you get at those type of places for a start.

Whenever I walk passed its full of ladettes and their boyfriends trying to start a fight with another guy for looking at him the wrong way.

Players is a god awful bar that attracts the Embrace "crew". Chavvy style music, awful dancers, horrible atmosphere and the usual sticky floor and disinfectant smell that you get at those type of places for a start.

Whenever I walk passed its full of ladettes and their boyfriends trying to start a fight with another guy for looking at him the wrong way.

you obviously cant be a young person then cos any young person will tell you thats players is the best thing to happen to sheffields night life for a while.i dnt like embrace but theres nothing wrong with players.