Sunday Dinner - Cricket Inn or Milestone

Which of these places should I take my Mum to for Sunday Dinner?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these places should I take my Mum to for Sunday Dinner?

• The Cricket Inn, Totley
    • The Milestone, Kelham Island
    • Thyme Cafe, Glossop Road

Cricket Inn is always a winner- esp if you get table in wnidow- get there early

ooo - maybe I should get this thread closed and start a poll - do it democratically!!

thanks all!

I have only been to the Milestone on weekdays, not on a Sunday. To be honest I was a bit dissapointed as it was a bit nouvelle cuisine for me, lovely food but minute portions, and had to pay extra on top of an already high price for any vegetables. I had lamb shank, but it was the smallest I have ever seen, and the most expensive I have ever bought.

We eat regularly at both the Milestone, and Cricket Inn, and to be honest, there isn't much to choose between them. Both top quality, with the Cricket Inn slightly more expensive, yet more informal.

The beer is better at Cricket Inn, if that makes a difference, but with Kelham Tav round the corner from the Milestone, then you can cover both bases.

If I was eating during the day, i'd pick Cricket Inn, at night Milestone.

The last time we went to the Cricketers there were kids running around everywhere. (That's why it was the last time).

If your Mum wants somewhere quiet, I'd avoid that one.

Try the Grouse Inn at Longshawe - very friendly pub & staff and excellent value food.

Been to Cricketers many times and always really enjoyed it.

I have only been to the Milestone on weekdays, not on a Sunday. To be honest I was a bit dissapointed as it was a bit nouvelle cuisine for me, lovely food but minute portions, and had to pay extra on top of an already high price for any vegetables. I had lamb shank, but it was the smallest I have ever seen, and the most expensive I have ever bought.

did you eat in the restaurant or the 'gastropub'? we would be doing the gastro pub sunday lunch.

Thanks for all the comments folks - keep em coming, I don't get to see mumsy that often so want to make a good decision!

I've been to Sunday lunch at the Milestone a few times (in the downstairs gastropub) and always enjoyed it. To me the portions are more than adequate (and my much hungrier other half has never complained about still being hungry afterwards). We've never booked (last went about a month ago) and it's always been fine. They also serve a very nice looking brunch menu if you don't want the traditional roast-type stuff.

Thyme Cafe is very nice, and will be cheaper than the Milestone, but I think will also be busier. Am confused by Stagewalker's comment above, I thought Thyme Cafe didn't take advance bookings?or do you mean their system where you turn up, put your name on the list and have to come back half an hour/45 mins/an hour or whatever later on? That is the one thing I find irritating and means you'd have to take your mum somewhere else to entertain her in the meantime!

Never been to Cricketers, have heard good things, but didn't realise it was more expensive than the Milestone (which I consider near the top of my price range) -I'd expect it to be really good for that price!

Well Stagey I know I can rely on your reviews!! roughly how much is it there?

Ta. :)

Difficult to say really, as there's quite a range on offer. It's not a cheap place, but the quality is good.

Am confused by Stagewalker's comment above, I thought Thyme Cafe didn't take advance bookings?or do you mean their system where you turn up, put your name on the list and have to come back half an hour/45 mins/an hour or whatever later on? That is the one thing I find irritating and means you'd have to take your mum somewhere else to entertain her in the meantime!

In fairness, I've never tried to book. We've been turned away a couple of times because they were so full. I just assumed you had to book.

Yeah, I agree that taking whoever you're with to the neighbouring pub for half an hour is boring, but IMO the dining experience is worth the small amount of inconvenience - although clearly not everyone agrees. :)

thanks for all the tips guys. Unfortunatel sunday lunch is now off ;o( but at least I know where to take them next time!

Rising Sun on Abbey Lane (Parkhead) has a new menu - good value and highly recommended.

Bungelows and bairs do a good sunday lunch, £12 for two.

Thyme cafe you cant book, so if its full you have to wait for a table.

Cricket inn great food, little pricey at £12 tho.