Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Thanks for that Lostrider as you are in the photo and went to Carter Lodge, what happened to the Townsends, White and Maikinson family any idea?

Was Andrew Havenhand the brother of Linda Havenhand that used to live at th last house before the jennel to Russell and Garlic shop and the 41 terminus at the side of the Hoggs Head Pub, love to know

Dave Theaker

I dont know for sure if it's the same Havenhands but it possibly was. Did Linda have red hair as Andrew did?

I went to school with Elaine and Rita Townsend, Rita was my age, Elaine a little older. They lived on Delves Drive next the the Darcy's and Hambletons I think.

I dont know the Maikinsons.

I went to School with Stuart White or Wiley as he was nicknamed. He had an older Brother called Dave and a couple of sisters. They lived on Rainbow Avenue.

Hope this rings a few bells. I'll see if I can dig a few more photos out for you.

Alan Burke

Tazz, no not linked to Woodcraft. Only in that they held it at Rainbow Forge, where my Dad was caretaker of the school, in the 80s, but he didnt have anything to do with the meetings.

OK, must be another family I'm thinking off :( . No relation to Derek Piggott then who lived in Delves Drive?

Tazz

I was at Carter Lodge ........forever........moved from Beighton Infants when we moved to Hackenthorpe in 1953, so had Miss Cantor as Headmistress for a long time through Infants and Juniors then in senior school Mr. Croft !!!!!!! "quality not quantity".

Friends with Chris Crossley for a long time and briefly met up a couple of years or so ago and promptly lost touch again..........busy busy life!!!

Ciao

RL

Do you recall Pearl's (Cantor) Friday'itus club. At Monday morning assembly, she used to line all the kids up on stage at that didnt come to school on the previous friday and cane them one by one. The ones without a sick note anyway. Taking of "sadists" What about Mrs Maxtead, she used to stand you an her desk, roll your socks down and slap yor legs with a ruler, Or Miss Baxter and her Dr Dunlop size 10 slipper "cures all ill's".

Hi Lostrider,

Linda Havenhand did indeed have red hair,I new Rita andand Elain Townsnsend, but it was their brother Peter who was my age the same as gerald Smith. Yo mention the Hambletons @ 33 Delves Drive.My parents bought their house @ 2 Marchwood Road Stannington, and they through what I can rememberer under the deal transfered to our house. This was 1963 then in 1965 we moved to Woodhouse. My aunt used to live on Dyke vale Road no 19 named Binghams, and I can remember Peter Nolan and the Hempshals who used to live next door.

Going back to Delves Drive there was also the Ballis family Linda and Margeret and I think it was the Piggots next door to Gerald Smiths house or was it the Baxandales, it was 43 years ago. I can remember the gales that blew down the tree in the centre of Delves Drive before they built the Garages. 10 years ago I had a guy work for me by the name of Mick Smith wno used to live on Delves Road we became good friends sadly he died 2 years ago he srved his tim in the pit as a sparky I think it was Orgreave not sure.

Sorry I digress Living in Inverness now I still have a soft spot for Hackenthorpe.

As regards Miss Cantor yes I can remember the Friday club, but I can only remembe Miss Box, Mr Taylor and Mr McKaie

Thanks for the memories please keep them comming.

Dave Theaker

:D:thumbsup:

Hi Lostrider,

Linda Havenhand did indeed have red hair,I new Rita andand Elain Townsnsend, but it was their brother Peter who was my age the same as gerald Smith. Yo mention the Hambletons @ 33 Delves Drive.My parents bought their house @ 2 Marchwood Road Stannington, and they through what I can rememberer under the deal transfered to our house. This was 1963 then in 1965 we moved to Woodhouse. My aunt used to live on Dyke vale Road no 19 named Binghams, and I can remember Peter Nolan and the Hempshals who used to live next door.

Going back to Delves Drive there was also the Ballis family Linda and Margeret and I think it was the Piggots next door to Gerald Smiths house or was it the Baxandales, it was 43 years ago. I can remember the gales that blew down the tree in the centre of Delves Drive before they built the Garages. 10 years ago I had a guy work for me by the name of Mick Smith wno used to live on Delves Road we became good friends sadly he died 2 years ago he srved his tim in the pit as a sparky I think it was Orgreave not sure.

Sorry I digress Living in Inverness now I still have a soft spot for Hackenthorpe.

As regards Miss Cantor yes I can remember the Friday club, but I can only remembe Miss Box, Mr Taylor and Mr McKaie

Thanks for the memories please keep them comming.

Dave Theaker

Can anyone remember the row of houses with outside lavatories that were across the yard? They were opposite the Hogshead.

Can anyone remember the row of houses with outside lavatories that were across the yard? They were opposite the Hogshead.

Vaguely.

Wasn't there a row of prefab garages behind them, down that lane that is now the main road leading to Crystal Peaks (Mossway)?

Yes I remember them, Something Row it was called. Used to be a strange old bloke lived on there who used to fish in the road, never had the electric on always candles burning in the windows. Maybe they didn't have any "electrickery".

Is anyone old to enough to remember when the Hogshead was a big hole in the ground.

Used to ride my three wheeler bike in out of it, we used to think a bomb had gone off in it. What about Harry Hogshead and is two daughters who each had a Mini. No one on our road even had a car. One or two had Motorbikes and Sidecars (Panthers). My dad had a Raleigh Runabout Moped. Proper ashamed I was. One of the neighhbours had a van with "Grays Office Supplies" on the side. For everyone else it was "Shank's Pony". Nowadays you cant get on the street for cars. Some on the road, some on the grass the rest on the pavement. Thank God I dont live there anymore.

Yes I remember them, Something Row it was called. Used to be a strange old bloke lived on there who used to fish in the road, never had the electric on always candles burning in the windows. Maybe they didn't have any "electrickery".

Is anyone old to enough to remember when the Hogshead was a big hole in the ground.

Used to ride my three wheeler bike in out of it, we used to think a bomb had gone off in it. What about Harry Hogshead and is two daughters who each had a Mini. No one on our road even had a car. One or two had Motorbikes and Sidecars (Panthers). My dad had a Raleigh Runabout Moped. Proper ashamed I was. One of the neighhbours had a van with "Grays Office Supplies" on the side. For everyone else it was "Shank's Pony". Nowadays you cant get on the street for cars. Some on the road, some on the grass the rest on the pavement. Thank God I dont live there anymore.

My dad had a maroon Royal Enfield and black sidecar when we lived there, '54-'60 ish. I felt a right prat in the sidecar, and not very safe. :( Next door neighbours - the Staffords - had a black Triumph Mayflower (posh buggers), and the bloke who delivered the milk - Farmer Spencer - had a dark green Ford E83W van. They are the only vehicles I remember from my time there.

I could play with my Dinky cars in the middle of Birley Spa Lane for hours, and probably only have to shift to let the 41 bus pass and maybe half a dozen cars - on a busy day.

I was talking to Bill Burdett in the Blue Bell this week and he says he would love to hear from you. He lives at 26 Cotleigh Avenue and his phone number is 248 6014.

I was talking to Bill Burdett in the Blue Bell this week and he says he would love to hear from you. He lives at 26 Cotleigh Avenue and his phone number is 248 6014.

Who is the post aimed at John?

:wave: Sean Piggott...are you THE Sean Piggott that represented Ireland for something or other at Rainbow Forge Infants and had to wear a dodgy green outfit with a sash.....with me?? :wave:

If not Ive got you mixed up with someone else, it was many moons ago, 77/78ish.