The future of De Hood Boxing Centre

A community boxing centre in Sheffield is facing an uncertain future after Costa Coffee and Iceland have expressed an interest in building on the land.

De Hood has helped to transform the lives of a lot of people, and has been praised by the police for helping to reduce crime in the area.

It would be such a shame if this valuable resource couldnt carry on.

The centre is now used six days a week by visitors for boxing, football, basketball, boot camp and weight loss sessions. There is also a drop-in called 'Kick Back Recovery' for people with drug and alcohol problems.

From...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/concern-over-future-of-sheffield-boxing-club-that-has-transformed-lives-on-notorious-estate-1-9063992

There is a petition here to help secure De Hoods future...

https://www.change.org/p/secure-a-long-term-lease-from-sheffield-city-council-for-de-hood-s-future?recruiter=861490976&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_petition.nafta_share_post_interaction.control

Edited by nikki-red

Seems fair enough to me, as far as I understand it that arent using the whole primary school and there is nothing stopping them finding new premises.

Plus they arent paying a single penny to be there and have had free rent for a number of years.

Seems fair enough to me, as far as I understand it that arent using the whole primary school and there is nothing stopping them finding new premises.

Plus they arent paying a single penny to be there and have had free rent for a number of years.

By all intent and purpose this is a charity, no users pay anything, what hood wants is a permanent place (and to pay rent) to work from so they can get some funding to carry on,

The funding they have applied for (lottery etc) have told them that they would fund them if, they get a permanent place, and that above all els is what they want.

Change.org

Thank you for signing, David

Your signature is a crucial first step in joining the Secure a long Term lease from Sheffield City Council for De Hood's Future!! campaign.

Help this petition win by taking a moment to tell your friends and family why this is important to you.

Complete the checklist below to reach even more supporters.

Sign this petition

Post to Facebook

Tweet your followers

Promote this petition

Copy the note below and email it to your friends

Hello,

I just signed the petition, “Secure a long Term lease from Sheffield City Council for De Hood's Future!!.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

Here’s the link:

https://www.change.org/p/secure-a-long-term-lease-from-sheffield-city-council-for-de-hood-s-future?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=863378226

Thanks,

Edited by kidley

By all intent and purpose this is a charity, no users pay anything, what hood wants is a permanent place (and to pay rent) to work from so they can get some funding to carry on,

Not quite, read the Change.org thing carefully, they want to apply for some listing to stop the building being demolished and stay where they are.

Not quite, read the Change.org thing carefully, they want to apply for some listing to stop the building being demolished and stay where they are.

C&P

De Hood Community Project needs to secure a long term lease on it's existing premises "The Old Prince Edward School Buildings" at Manor Top from Sheffield City Council.

My Bold

So they want to stop the building being demolished, as I said.

Nothing stopping them looking elsewhere within the area. You never win against corporate forces.

So they want to stop the building being demolished, as I said.

Nothing stopping them looking elsewhere within the area. You never win against corporate forces.

you are correct, never been any doubt about that

Petition signed.

They've got a good place in the area already, and they are certainly doing more good for the community than a couple of junk food purveyors like Costa Coffee and Iceland.

As for "you never win against corporate forces", I'd like to see you back up that bizarre claim.

well looking at the area there is a perfectly good building down the road sitting vacant and that is the old fire station why should the council give them a long lease when whoever owns the fire station could give them occupation.

the land is too valuable and shops would bring in more revenue for the council and also brighten the area up.

I don't doubt that what they have been doing is laudable and has had an effect but they must have known what was happening when they took on the site

well looking at the area there is a perfectly good building down the road sitting vacant and that is the old fire station why should the council give them a long lease when whoever owns the fire station could give them occupation.

the land is too valuable and shops would bring in more revenue for the council and also brighten the area up.

I don't doubt that what they have been doing is laudable and has had an effect but they must have known what was happening when they took on the site

The community boxing centre does far more for the area than Costa Coffee or Iceland ever will.

my bold

ime afraid not so, it started very small and nobody, and i mean nobody could have envisaged how this place has took off.

They dont own the land they use for this club, so have no say if the owner sells it to a developer. The land is probably worth a lot of money.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 20:20 ----------

The community boxing centre does far more for the area than Costa Coffee or Iceland ever will.

But it dosnt provide the jobs and investment into the area like Costa and Iceland would.