Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Re. my previous posting today. I have just remembered the name of the lady I was hoping to hear from was Marlene Harrison.

I just happened on this totally by accident as i don't come of this site often and was last on about 5 years ago. i remember your family. My brother and I were friends wth Richard;i am Kevin Lax, older bruv is Paul. I remember Sarah as well. we were sorry to see them go. I remember the dad wore a turban (not common 40 years ago, and a suit if i remeber correctly)My mam and dad still live on Carr Forge Close and so does Marlene I am quite sure. I saw Mark when I was last back in 05 (I live in Taiwan). i'm not sure Marlene uses email or the Internet but if you want to use the old way write to her care of my parents (Mr and Mrs Lorraine Lax, 28 Carr Forge Close, Hackenthorpe, Sheffield, s12 4fa) and they will pass on the letter. I have told them to tell Marlene that you are looking for her;maybe she uses email, i don't know. best regards. Funny how i also saw an entry from Tracey Simpson next to yours. I remember her and her bruv and dad as well!. Kev Lax

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 40.

Unless you have lived a life of total salubriosity, you will have at one time or another visited your local general practitioner. During my six years on the Hackenthorpe Estate I visited the doctor on several occasions. The family Zakes’ family doctor was called Dr. Pagdin who held surgery at his house on Beighton Road near to the Post Office. Dr. Pagdin had found out in a short space of time that I was a cheeky chuff, and that I was a very determined boy, who could read adults and situations like no other child he had ever met. For this reason he perhaps found it best not to object when I called him Dr. Paggi. Apart from his cold stethoscope I found Dr. Paggi to be a likeable and affable fellow.

When I ailed and needed to see Dr. Paggi to get his opinion I would drag me mum along with me to the surgery at Greenside (Paggi’s house). I thought it best to give her a rest from her monotonous housework, and it also gave her the chance to get some fresh air. Apart from that, the walk would do her the world of good. Our usual route from our house on CARTER LODGE DRIVE would be… Up CARTER LODGE RISE then traverse CARTER LODGE AVENUE, climb the 25-30 steps to arrive at BIRLEY SPA LANE. We would then cross the main road to then enter MAIN STREET. Having walked through the village and reached the far end of MAIN STREET, we would then turn left into BEIGHTON ROAD and Paggi’s place would be 60 yards further on the left. Alternatively we could have turned right out of our path and gone along CARTER LODGE DRIVE. At the end we could have gone up the path with the field to our left, then crossed BIRLEY SPA LANE. Then we could have gone up WELL LANE, but because I wouldn’t have been feeling WELL at the time, it wouldn’t have been appropriate to have taken this route. (WELL LANE is also known as PIGS LANE).

On entering Dr. Paggi’s house there was always the wonderful welcoming smell of wood and floor polish. Inside the waiting room the smell was completely different, because it seemed every bugger in the place was smoking. On one occasion me mum joined in by lighting up one of her Senior Service tipped, leaving me to be the only one not to be smoking. Mum didn’t know I was a smoker, which was just as well, because if she would have found out, she’d have killed me then I would have needed an undertaker, not a doctor. Also in the waiting room some patients would be playing patience whilst patiently waiting to be called.

Some of the ailments Dr. Paggi treated me for were:-

OTALGIA

PERTUSSIS

EPIDEMIC PAROTITIS

MORBILLI

ENCEPHALITIS LETHARGICA.

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 41.

1. I mentioned some Latin words in Pt. 37. For the handful of you who didn’t know the meanings of these words, and who couldn’t be bothered to check them up on their cute cosmic computers, here are the trunting translations:-

PHOENICURUS PHOENICURUS – REDSTART

ALECTORIS RUFA – RED LEGGED PARTRIDGE

TURDUS VISCIVORUS – MISTLE THRUSH

RISSA TRIDACTYLA – KITTIWAKE

LARUS ARGENTATUS – HERRING GULL

FRATERCULA ARCTICA – PUFFIN

PHALACROCORAX CARBO – CORMORANT

LARUS RIDIBUNDUS – BLACK HEADED GULL

CRATAEGUS OXYACANTHA – HAWTHORN

ILEX AQUIFOLIUM – HOLLY

VISCUM ALBUM – MISTLETOE

2. In the early 60’s Birley Spa Junior School sponsored an African child. We used to have a letter read out to us in assembly, thanking us for our kindness and also about the life of the African child in her country.

3. Also at Birley Spa Juniors it was requested of us young ‘uns to bring to school, silver paper = tin foil, milk bottle tops, from inside fag packets etc, were some of the items collected for the guide dogs for the blind cause.

4. Martin Smith who had ears like a Fledermaus was a lad in my class at Birley Spa Juniors. Martin lived at Carr Forge Mount, and one day whilst visiting his house his mother gave us a spice apiece. They were butter dainties. His mum chose to have one too, but instead of opening the wrapper then popping the butter dainty into her mouth like any normal person would do, she decided to do it the posh way instead. She loosened the wrapper then raised it to her cake hole to put the sweet in, but the wrapper caught one of her teeth which made her immediately flinch in pain. This means Mrs Smith had at least one sensitive tooth or metallic filling.

I hope this is not a breach of her confiDENT(i)ALity. Ugh.

5. Styans bread and bun shop was the second shop down on the Birley Spa Lane shopping parade. The first shop was B & C, the third was Potter’s Chemist.

6. On Sheffield Road is a factory called Pre-formed Winding, not far from the church. This factory used to be Hales cake factory, and there had been strong rumours that the boss’s wife was being pegged by a disliked local ‘celeb’. This ‘celeb’ rode a bicycle and liked to clip young lads like me around the ear when on duty. Guess who? 1960’s.

Hackenthorpe and Zakes Part 42.

1. When it came to Harvest Festival time, we at BIrley Spa Juniors gave to the pensioners housed at Spa View Road. More about this on another thread of mine. NAH THEN FOLKS, DURING THE 60’S. POST 48 TITLED, ‘HACKENTHORPE HAS A NEW GREENGROCER’. Although I’, not sure, I think Cherry Tree Orphanage on Twentywell Lane also received from us fruit and clothing, or something.

2. Some more mid 60’s shops on Birley Spa Lane:-

Howards – cycles

Spa butchery

Roy’s – radios

Astill – greengrocer

Spa Fisheries – chip shop

Davy’s – grocers – bakers

Gallons – grocers

Eve’s – clothing

Elam’s – newsagent

Imperial – dry cleaners

Slight’s – wallpaper

Womens hairdressers - ? Maison, (Michelle or summit).

Hibberd – shoes. The shops were not in the order I have written them.

The parade was litter free and the shops always had shiny window panes. Now the place is a ruddy dump. Supermarkets have managed to put small businesses out of usiness, not just in Hackenthorpe but elsewhere too.

3. In my class at Birley Spa Juniors was a comically zany lad called Robert Evans. Robert always made me laugh with his facial expressions and the crazy things he did. He used to fold his two top eyelids over and they would stay like that until he unfolded them again. You could see the pink and red veins of the insides. I think it was Robert who came to school one day with a real bull’s eye wrapped in white shiny paper. The girls were screaming and freaking out big style. I think he had got it at Millits Butchers shop on Spa View Road. Robert lived on Spa View Terrace.

Other businesses on that road were:-

Spa Post Office.

Gowers and Burgons grocers.

These shops were also spotless, and looked after with pride.

Hi,buddysbuddy&katerina,i worked for harry elam when he first started with harry shaw on the parson x.Later in life i moved to hackenthorpe (carr forge rd),just before the shops were built on birley spa lane,but met him again and we had a long chat,was in and out of his shop many times after that.My sister still lives on the estate.Thanks for the memories.

Does anyone remember the button factory? I remember there was always a load of mother of pearl offcuts outside. There was also the Severquick factory, I think Reg Unwin was the boss.

Jim Disney and Pete Spear were the village policemen. I think it was David Disney who became a GP near Derby where Jim retired to. Then first Police Station was in Frecheville and then the one on Occupation Lane was built. My dad was there as Sgt until 1967 when Sheffield took over.

I remember going on the football trips from the Plover. I remember someone got left in Darlington after the Blades played Newcastle in the FA Cup. (3-1 to Utd...Billy Russell hat trick)

I still have a couple of those Mother of pearl off cuts from the button factory. Still shiney :)

I remember 2 names from this area Jean Archibold & Les Gill they are not connected but knew them at different times

I remember 2 names from this area Jean Archibold & Les Gill they are not connected but knew them at different times

cant remember jean but knew les, I used to knock about with his brother steve. les used to knock about with billy leedham I think

cant remember jean but knew les, I used to knock about with his brother steve. les used to knock about with billy leedham I think

Don't know much about him as he was in a group we used to see so don't know what happened to him, just remember his name

There was a Parish Priest who was a great Blades fan. No Church function was allowed to interfere with his duty to his season ticket. Fr McDonagh rings a bell but I'm not certain.

Can anyone put me right.

There was a Parish Priest who was a great Blades fan. No Church function was allowed to interfere with his duty to his season ticket. Fr McDonagh rings a bell but I'm not certain.

Can anyone put me right.

Fr. McDonagh (sp) late of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic church. His partner in crime was Fr. O'Dowd. A right pair of likely lads.:hihi: