What happened to these coach companies?

Just after I left school I went to work for a bus and coach sales and repair company in Thurcroft, Rotherham. A couple of months since, I was talking to a friend of mine, who's Dad was my boss, and we got talking about some of the customers we could remember. Three names that came to mind were;

1) Andrew Hogg of Hogg's coaches, they were situated near to City Road cemetry on Dovercourt Road.

2) Jeff Burdett, Burdett's coaches at Queens Street, Mosboro/Halfway.

3) Brian Kinsley coaches, The old fire station, Manchester Road at Stocksbridge.

It's going back to the late 70's early 80's last time we heard of them, but would like to know if they are still around.

I Left the Deepcar area almost 3 years ago and Brian Kinsleys Coaches was being run by his son then, Brian sadly having passed away a few years earlier.

I remember Carnells (sp) Coaches, Trevor Carnells Mom was a friend of my Moms...Trevor died about 10-15 years ago, I think he was only in his 50s.

Are Rileys of Rotherham still running? In the late 70's as more people had cars, there were insufficient racegoers in Sheffield and SUT or National Express, wouldn't run unless there were 15 people.

In the end, the uncertainty was so bad, most people headed for Rotherham to go with Rileys.

Are Rileys of Rotherham still running? In the late 70's as more people had cars, there were insufficient racegoers in Sheffield and SUT or National Express, wouldn't run unless there were 15 people.

In the end, the uncertainty was so bad, most people headed for Rotherham to go with Rileys.

Rileys have been gone a long time CHAIRBOY, don't know what happened to them, their premisses are now a car tuning place I think.

Rileys have been gone a long time CHAIRBOY, don't know what happened to them, their premisses are now a car tuning place I think.

Thanks for that; didn't know but not surprised. Cars were just beginning to take over then - 30 years ago!

Does anyone remember a Coach firm by the name of Shaw's Coaches in the 1950's?

PopT

Flying Duck, I think you will find that Burdett's were sold to Ashley travel.

I remember Drabbles coaches on Scott Rd, when you think how many coaches were used for the annual working mans club trips, there must have been an awful lot in the Sheffield area.

Just after I left school I went to work for a bus and coach sales and repair company in Thurcroft, Rotherham. A couple of months since, I was talking to a friend of mine, who's Dad was my boss, and we got talking about some of the customers we could remember. Three names that came to mind were;

1) Andrew Hogg of Hogg's coaches, they were situated near to City Road cemetry on Dovercourt Road.

2) Jeff Burdett, Burdett's coaches at Queens Street, Mosboro/Halfway.

3) Brian Kinsley coaches, The old fire station, Manchester Road at Stocksbridge.

It's going back to the late 70's early 80's last time we heard of them, but would like to know if they are still around.

I worked for Brian part time in the early nineties; mainly as a hobby really as the pay wasn't particularly good!

He tried hard to keep the business going but the fleet was getting very tired.

It was always a challenge to get back into the yard though due to it being a tight squeeze and often a car would be parked close to the entry point...

One of the last jobs I did for Brian was Gay Pride 95 taking Sheffield University Gay Bi & Lesbian Group to Hyde Parke in London for the day for their annual jamboree.

Brian only told me that I was taking a group of students to London with the usual pick up/drop off times etc.

I only realised who they were when lorries were not flashing me back in on the motorway.After wondering why,I deciphered the large colourful notice hung in my rear window clearly announcing the group.

Needless to say I am not homophobic, enjoyed the day out and they were one of the best groups I have ever taken!

Going back a LOT of years a relation by marriage of mine had a coach company. His name was Arthur Kitson and I believe he was based on Penistone Road. During the General Strike he had his arm broken in a scuffle involving pickets.