E-bikes in EU to require insurance, what a dumb proposal

As per the title. According to the article, this will include bikes that are limited to 15mph.

Sounds a stupid law as it seems that any member state "..can if they so choose, exempt e-bikes from the decision."

Perhaps blood pressure would drop if people read the whole paragraph referred to.

"The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally. The decision – yet to be placed into law – would affect those riding pedal-assist e-bikes, often known as pedelecs i.e. the standard e-bike sold in Europe. However, individual EU states can, if they so choose, exempt e-bikes from the decision."

So address this to the UK government if you wish.

Perhaps blood pressure would drop if people read the whole paragraph referred to.

"The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally. The decision – yet to be placed into law – would affect those riding pedal-assist e-bikes, often known as pedelecs i.e. the standard e-bike sold in Europe. However, individual EU states can, if they so choose, exempt e-bikes from the decision."

So address this to the UK government if you wish.

Exactly, one of several reasons why I think it's a dumb proposal

Exactly, one of several reasons why I think it's a dumb proposal

The idea of having compulsory third party insurance for E-Bike riders makes sense and hardly is dumb. Motability scooter users should also have third party insurance in my opinion.

They'll be taxing our feet when we take a walk next.

The idea of having compulsory third party insurance for E-Bike riders makes sense and hardly is dumb. Motability scooter users should also have third party insurance in my opinion.

Why does it make sense?

Why does it make sense?

Same reason third party motor vehicle insurance is compulsory. Don't you think a person riding a E bike could cause serious harm to a pedestrian, if they ran into one? Third party insurance is available for cycle and horse riders for good sensible reasons.

Lockdoctor

Don't you think a person riding a E bike could cause serious harm to a pedestrian, if they ran into one?

if anything, less harm than a non-E (normal) bike.

i have an e-bike, the assist cuts out at 16mph. at which point i'm riding a slow, un-assisted bike, with slow sturdy tyres. so i tend to cruise along doing about 14-15mph. (why flog myself to ride at 18mph? - when i can pootle along for very little effort at 15mph?)

i can, and usually do, ride faster than that on my lighter, normal bikes.

my e-bike isn't really faster than my normal bikes., it's just a lot easier; it's perfect for commuting.

ok, it is faster up hill, increasing my speed from around 10mph to around 13mph. but i'm faster downhill on my normal bikes.

Third party insurance is available for cycle and horse riders for good sensible reasons.

it's also not compulsory, for good sensible reasons.

Edited by ads36

if anything, less harm than a non-E (normal) bike.

i have an e-bike, the assist cuts out at 16mph. at which point i'm riding a slow, un-assisted bike, with slow sturdy tyres. so i tend to cruise along doing about 14-15mph. (why flog myself to ride at 18mph? - when i can pootle along for very little effort at 15mph?)

i can, and usually do, ride faster than that on my lighter, normal bikes.

my e-bike isn't really faster than my normal bikes., it's just a lot easier; it's perfect for commuting.

ok, it is faster up hill, increasing my speed from around 10mph to around 13mph. but i'm faster downhill on my normal bikes.

it's also not compulsory, for good sensible reasons.

I expect your e-bike to be fairy heavier than a conventional bike (particularly road bikes), so an impact at a lower speed may still release more kinetic energy than a lighter bike at a higher speed, and at 15 mph, certainly enough to maim/injure a pedestrian.

A lack of insurance exposes any rider at fault to personal liability for the damage caused, so if you were to hit anyone and cause lifechanging damage...I’ll let you imagine the consequences on your lifelong earnings.

I’m with Lockdoctor on this one. Riding a bike is a choice, not a right; and any person engaging in any activity that has the potential to cause serious harm (ie liability for remedying that harm) should be made to take a relevant insurance - or not engage in the activity.

Just count yourself lucky parents in the U.K. are not (to my knowledge) held liable for their kids’ acts, because that’d be a second set of third party liability insurance to subscribe.

Edited by L00b