Over 100 M&S stores to close in total by 2022

Another High Street name looking at closing stores, M & S aims to take a third of it's sales online. They are looking at closing 100 stores by 2022 including the 21 that have already closed and the 14 stores that are announced today as proposed for closure or set to close. More jobs lost, although as it is over a period of time I suppose some that go are people that are ready to retire.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-over-100-ms-stores-12576227

They, along with the likes of John Lewis have finally realised than other than for a few, folk visit their stores whilst they are visiting the town/city centre, not the other way round. There is very little to visit the likes of Sheffield city centre for, I don’t see a glorious future for either of these once giants.

If they move the city centre stores to retail parks - free parking - they would do better. Atm some are stuck in dying city centres, so no wonder trade is declining.

It's a shame, but there it is.

So they're closing 100 stores, but that includes 21 that have already closed and 14 earmarked for closure soon.

So really they're closing 65 stores over the next couple of years, hardly monumental.

Do any of these include the small food only ones you find in shopping centres, service stations and hospitals??

So they're closing 100 stores, but that includes 21 that have already closed and 14 earmarked for closure soon.

So really they're closing 65 stores over the next couple of years, hardly monumental.

Do any of these include the small food only ones you find in shopping centres, service stations and hospitals??

simply food? theyve cut back on the amount of those they were planning on opening

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 14:38 ----------

Another High Street name looking at closing stores, M & S aims to take a third of it's sales online. They are looking at closing 100 stores by 2022 including the 21 that have already closed and the 14 stores that are announced today as proposed for closure or set to close. More jobs lost, although as it is over a period of time I suppose some that go are people that are ready to retire.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-over-100-ms-stores-12576227

what a horrible link its almost unusuable, so many "unlocks" needed to read a single article

heres a proper one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44197128

They, along with the likes of John Lewis have finally realised than other than for a few, folk visit their stores whilst they are visiting the town/city centre, not the other way round. There is very little to visit the likes of Sheffield city centre for, I don’t see a glorious future for either of these once giants.

The Sheffield you see is very different to the one I see :confused:

Do you ever look above and beyond the shop fronts ?

simply food? theyve cut back on the amount of those they were planning on opening

what a horrible link its almost unusuable, so many "unlocks" needed to read a single article

heres a proper one

Yes but the BBC weren't as early with the news as the Mirror was.

I wonder if they will close some of the stores in other countries.

Yes but the BBC weren't as early with the news as the Mirror was.

I wonder if they will close some of the stores in other countries.

i read it on the bbc site long before you posted this thread, thats why i knew where to get the link from

The Sheffield you see is very different to the one I see :confused:

Do you ever look above and beyond the shop fronts ?

Yes, most of what we’re offices above shops on say, Pinstone Street, that used to employ folk that consumed food and shopped, are now one bed apartments. Please tell me what is so wonderful about a city centre that looked better after the Luftwaffe had done it’s stuff?

I don’t intend to get into an argument with you, I have my opinion, you have yours, job done.

Yes, most of what we’re offices above shops on say, Pinstone Street, that used to employ folk that consumed food and shopped, are now one bed apartments.

these apartments i presume contain people that consume things? :huh:

these apartments i presume contain people that consume things? :huh:

Yep, say one against five or six, I’m not that good at calculus. :huh:

heres a proper one

Thanks for that post.

I thought there was something wrong with my Mac.

M&S will have to do something about their clothes.

My wife has bought practically nothing from their range.

The men's shirts are great if you want to walk around with the tails hanging out(fashion for the young who won't be seen dead in the store?)

The jumpers go bobbly after a couple of washes (pilling?)

Only the boxer shorts are worth buying.

They should sack the clothing buyers.

The food range is going down hill too.

Rant over!

Edited by davyboy