Win 10 updates and ow laptop woont recognise external monitor

Had a new Dell laptop for a few months - seems great except screen, but I run external monitor anyhow

Today it did a load of updates and now refuses to recognise external monitor is attached - says "not detected" . . .

Nothing I have tried works - help?

I had to go in and re-enable / reconfigure my external display for my laptop after the last update..

Previously, i'd just plug the HDMI in and it'd show, but after the update it wasn't doing that... so I had to go into display settings, tell it to extend or clone desktop, and set up the resolution again etc..

now it works fine again each time by just plugging it in.

System Restore?

I don't think delaying the inevitable is very good advice.

thanks folks - it simply refuses to accept a 2nd screen is there, worked perfectly before update - but does seem to be a common problem with Win10 - my plan is to keep using it without external monitor and hope the next update fixes things . . .

Have you checked if Dell have a BIOS update and/or video driver update? Worth a try.

Even just reinstalling the video driver might kick it into life.

thanks folks - it simply refuses to accept a 2nd screen is there, worked perfectly before update - but does seem to be a common problem with Win10 - my plan is to keep using it without external monitor and hope the next update fixes things . . .

Have you tried another monitor/cable? or tried it on another computer?

have you updated your GFX drivers?

It should work, if it doesn't i'd be looking into a fault, or driver issue - and not blaming Windows 10

un install the gfx drivers and update.

Had this on 2 desktop pcs that run twin and triple displays and W10. Royally stuffed up the multi monitor after an update and had to re install the gfx drivers to get it to work on both machines.

I assume a laptop would be similar.