Bunnings DIY Store struggling

Looks like the Bunnings store that opened on the site of B&Q at Parkgate won't be around for long.

The Australian owners are looking to offload the UK side of the brand, (they also own Homebase).

Which leaves only B&Q and Wickes

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/bunnings-axes-famous-slogan-in-the-uk-as-chain-continues-to-struggle/news-story/e7552d502bdd8110c474d051711ca8e0

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/30/homebase-is-undoubtedly-the-most-disastrous-retail-acquisition-in-the-uk-ever

Brand image. I have not seen a single advert for "Bunnings" on the telly. People wont know who they are.

This is very old news! Being going on since January. Bunnings are not advertising on TV only through Homebase adverts due to only so many stores being converted. The most likely outcome will be the Homebase stores either sold or shut and so westfarmers can concentrate on Bunnings withoutout the Homebase mess. Damian is currently reviewing the operation and his knowledge of the UK market will be invaluable

This is very old news! Being going on since January. Bunnings are not advertising on TV only through Homebase adverts due to only so many stores being converted. The most likely outcome will be the Homebase stores either sold or shut and so westfarmers can concentrate on Bunnings withoutout the Homebase mess. Damian is currently reviewing the operation and his knowledge of the UK market will be invaluable

Honestly , ive never heard of them :confused: And Homebase is the last place I would go to for anything , very overpriced

They are big in Australia and prices are comparable to screwfix and tool station and cheaper on some too and far cheaper than expensive B&Q. Bunnings plan to remove the Homebase name from the UK as it seen as the woman's choice for DIY and doesn't fit in with how they are

They are big in Australia and prices are comparable to screwfix and tool station and cheaper on some too and far cheaper than expensive B&Q. Bunnings plan to remove the Homebase name from the UK as it seen as the woman's choice for DIY and doesn't fit in with how they are

£1 billion Bunnings disaster ends as Westfarmers sell for £1, stores that survive will revert to Homebase as they are seen to be more attractive to women.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

£1 billion Bunnings disaster ends as Westfarmers sell for £1, stores that survive will revert to Homebase as they are seen to be more attractive to women.

article on the sale here

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/company-news/wesfarmers-decides-to-pull-out-of-uk-bunnings-disaster/ar-AAxLXZ6

tbh ive never heard of Bunnings before, but then im not into DIY lol

Seems like a catastrophic mess caused by amazingly arrogant management.

Can't win em all. Stupid name anyway. Sounds like a pet shop

Bunnings is massive here in Oz, does not just sell DIY, most women even love Bunnings as they have lots of household goods not to mention a massive plant nursery in all our stores. They are usually cheaper than anywhere else & easily exchange goods. Both male & female seem to like Bunning Gift Vouchers for presents as well. It seems odd that they haven't done well in the UK in comparison to Oz. I am quite amazed.

Bunnings is massive here in Oz, does not just sell DIY, most women even love Bunnings as they have lots of household goods not to mention a massive plant nursery in all our stores. They are usually cheaper than anywhere else & easily exchange goods. Both male & female seem to like Bunning Gift Vouchers for presents as well. It seems odd that they haven't done well in the UK in comparison to Oz. I am quite amazed.

I read somewhere that they changed the British management to all Australian who didn't understand that the UK shopper is different to the Oz version.

Some of the things mentioned were that in store concessions like Laura Ashley were done away with, that the displays/layout were 'overstuffed' which reminded UK shoppers of downmarket stores and charity shops, and 'outdoor lifestyle' products like top of the range barbecues, outdoor kitchens, and expensive hot tubs were being relentlessly pushed, in a country where the weather is 'problematic' to say the least.

I don't know, I've never been in Bunnings, but I do know people who adore the Oz shop. Don't they also have classes and children's play areas in the Australian version? That sounds like a very good idea. I don't know if that made it over here.

Edited by Anna B

It sounds like they should have more people working there that as you say, know the culture of the people they are dealing with. The actual building itself of all Bunnings stores are massive to begin with, so certainly no overcrowding regarding stock. Yes most do have a small playground area for kids, also a cafe in the store for coffeee, cake, sausage rolls etc. Great range of things like light fittings, all bathroom fittings, complete kitchens which you can either fit yourself or pay Bunnings to do the job. Agree with you that hardly appropriate to be pushing things like BBQ's & outdoor furniture. Massive garden sections. Paints, laundry items, honestly they seem to sell almost everything here, which is why I am so surprised they are not doing well in the UK. Time they woke up to themselves hey?