Acoustic guitar strings

Those are for electric guitars really, you want acoustic strings that are bronze wound, not nickel wound. Try Martin or D'addario sets.

Those are for electric guitars really, you want acoustic strings that are bronze wound, not nickel wound. Try Martin or D'addario sets.

Thanks for letting me know they’re the wrong type :)

Are you able to recommend any of the Martin or D'addario strings? I’ve had a look on Amazon and there seem to be lots and lots of different ones and as a beginner I’m not sure which are best.

I've been playing with Martin Phosphor Bronze strings for years.

No complaints. Reasonably cheap and last well if you keep them clean.

I've been playing with Martin Phosphor Bronze strings for years.

No complaints. Reasonably cheap and last well if you keep them clean.

Thanks for the recommendation - would you suggest light or medium for a beginner?

I'd suggest extra light for a beginner with normal tuning.

The Martin Extra Light sets are about a fiver and the product code is M170.

I use Martin XP 80/20.

Can't say why really; just a matter of taste. When I fell out with Newtone because the G kept snapping I tried out all of the well known brands and felt the 80/20s sounded best on my 2 guitars.

I use light gauge for standard tuning on a Martin 000-15 and medium for DADGAD on a Yamaha LA-X.

Thanks. Can anyone explain what the main differences are between these two sets (other than price) and which would be best for a beginner?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-M170-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings/dp/B0002CZST4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martin-SP-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings/dp/B0002D0C12/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=9ADHAY7EKQ505HVTTXJW&th=1

Edited by Guest

Hiya.

The phosphor bronze ones should sound a little brighter and last longer before dulling.

To be honest, if you just want one set and aren't going to try different ones to see which sound best to your ears then you're probably better just going for the cheaper ones.

One bit of experience to share, though. I have only bought guitar strings from amazon once and what arrived was very old stock, already tarnished in places. Strings direct are very reliable, good quality and usually compare favourably in price.

I like 'newtone' strings and have never had a problem with snapping any of them.

i have used dean markley and martin on and off for years but i'm sticking with newtone now.

Good on you Dean. They are definitely the nicest sounding strings I've ever used.

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll take a look.