What happened to these coach companies?

Going back a LOT of years a relation by marriage of mine had a coach company. His name was Arthur Kitson and I believe he was based on Penistone Road. During the General Strike he had his arm broken in a scuffle involving pickets.

I am a relative by marriage of Arthur Kitson as well!!! Arthur had 2 brothers Harry and John and they all ran the company together. Harry (my Great uncle) lived at 234 Penistone Road - now demolished - across the road from Charlie Browns. I'm really interested in talking to you.

furnesses from high green are still going strong, i know burdettes took over the contracts from law bro's, strangely you can still go to law bro's travel shop on leppings lane and book holidays and burdettes do the british tours

You obviously haven't been to High Green for a while!! There is a housing estate built on Furness's!!! I suppose Graham Furness got a bit fed up with the struggle and he must be going up to retirement age as well.

I drive coaches for Ashley Travel, we still have a couple of Burdetts Coaches (still in business) and we even have an old Grant and McAllen coach which has the same livery as Ashley Travel Coaches.

Here is a scan from the 1973 Kelly's Directory showing local coach firms. One that isn't mentioned is L. & D. Hadfield whose depot was at 51 Montgomery Terrace Road near the Royal Infirmary. Old Mr Hadfield was interested in fair organs, traction engines, steam fairs etc. and he used to run cheap day excursions to these events. He also ran a haulage business, and this is how the firm is listed in the 1973 directory, the coach operation having ended by then.

Think Les Hadfield sold out to Kirkby's

Hadfield's provided the coaches which pupils from Parson cross and the Ecclesfield area used to travel on to Woodhouse Grammar School daily from 1958 to the mid or late sixties.

At the most I think there were three coaches, normally driven by Les Hadfield and I believe his two sons.

What has happend to Syd Woods coaches ? I remember being let down by another company in Rotherham and we had a bus load of children to take to a schoolboy international at Wembley waiting at the kerb side. Sid Wood was phoned and within 30 minutes we were on our way and we didn't miss any of the game, once again a belated thank you to your company.

What has happend to Syd Woods coaches ? I remember being let down by another company in Rotherham and we had a bus load of children to take to a schoolboy international at Wembley waiting at the kerb side. Sid Wood was phoned and within 30 minutes we were on our way and we didn't miss any of the game, once again a belated thank you to your company.

A long time gone! Syd Wood was a lovely bloke - I went to school in the sixties, with his daughter Pam who came third in a Miss England beauty contest. She used to be picked on at school because she was gorgeous and the mutts who bullied her weren't! She must be nearly 60 now - scary!

I remember Drabbles coaches on Scott Rd, when you think how many coaches were used for the annual working mans club trips, there must have been an awful lot in the Sheffield area.

I think Reg Drabble only had one coach. Also in Pitsmoor were Littlewood's, office on Spital Hill and garage at Petre Street/Garter Street.

Edited by stpetre
spall

I think Reg Drabble only had one coach. Also in Pitsmoor were Littlewood's, office on Spital Hill and garage at Petre Street/Garter Street.

Seem to remember Reg having a couple of smaller coaches too,,I used to do his auto electrics

Reg Drabble's fleet varied, usually 2 or 3 at a time.