What happened to these coach companies?

I worked for Brian part time in the early nineties; mainly as a hobby really as the pay wasn't particularly good!

He tried hard to keep the business going but the fleet was getting very tired.

It was always a challenge to get back into the yard though due to it being a tight squeeze and often a car would be parked close to the entry point...

One of the last jobs I did for Brian was Gay Pride 95 taking Sheffield University Gay Bi & Lesbian Group to Hyde Parke in London for the day for their annual jamboree.

Brian only told me that I was taking a group of students to London with the usual pick up/drop off times etc.

I only realised who they were when lorries were not flashing me back in on the motorway.After wondering why,I deciphered the large colourful notice hung in my rear window clearly announcing the group.

Needless to say I am not homophobic, enjoyed the day out and they were one of the best groups I have ever taken!

You sure the gays were'nt 'flashing' out of the back window. :hihi::hihi:

It pays to advertise.

I remember Carnells (sp) Coaches, Trevor Carnells Mom was a friend of my Moms...Trevor died about 10-15 years ago, I think he was only in his 50s.

Trevor Carnell died in June 1995 - he had just turned 60.

Who remembers Hirst & Sweeting in Holme Lane? It always amazed me how the drivers got the coaches through the narrow entry into the yard.

Two more coach firms I remember are Law Brothers in Leppings Lane (they did regular runs to East Anglia for fishermen, such as their "Ely Express") and Grant & McAllin at Beighton.

Edited by hillsbro

hi nimrod arthur kitson also had kitsons garage and transport at the bottom of herries rd which is now charlie browns and brammalls gold room,under brammalls siign is kitsons name,yes its still there.hi hillsboro,what about eagle coaches on bradfield rd it was run by warringtons in the fifties.I have the printing blocks for the letterheads.

Approx 1951, when I was nobbut a lad, we went on Beauchief Coaches to Blackpool.

The coach left from Fitzalan Square and the luggage was stored on top of the coach. I can vaguely remember a ladder propped against the coach side, as an aid to pass the suitcases from ground level up on to the top of the coach. We went with Beauchief Coaches I am told, because SUT to Blackpool were fully booked.

Trevor Carnell died in June 1995 - he had just turned 60.

Who remembers Hirst & Sweeting in Holme Lane? It always amazed me how the drivers got the coaches through the narrow entry into the yard.

Two more coach firms I remember are Law Brothers in Leppings Lane (they did regular runs to East Anglia for fishermen, such as their "Ely Express") and Grant & McAllin at Halfway.

Hirst and Sweeting ! Now there's a blast from the past ! Green livery if I remember rightly.

Jeffcock's Coaches used to take S.U.F.C supporters to away matches in the 1950's. Whatever happened to that company?

Back in 1947 coaches were pretty scarce, my father after failing to book for us to go to Bridlington hotfooted it to Beauchief coaches only to find that they too were booked up and we had to go by private car or cancel. In around 1970 I remember being in Pond St. at 6am on a Sunday morning only to find a long queue waiting to book at the SUT office.

Jeffcock's Coaches used to take S.U.F.C supporters to away matches in the 1950's. Whatever happened to that company?

Like so many at the time probably sold out to Sheffield United Tours (as my grandfather did G E Whitleys coaches).

hi nimrod arthur kitson also had kitsons garage and transport at the bottom of herries rd which is now charlie browns and brammalls gold room,under brammalls siign is kitsons name,yes its still there.hi hillsboro,what about eagle coaches on bradfield rd it was run by warringtons in the fifties.I have the printing blocks for the letterheads.

Thanks for the info re. Kitson's sign. I intend to photograph it for 'the famly archive'. I think Arthur Kitson was a brother-in-law of my grandmother.

sorry nimrod the old sign is underneath the gold room sign,mike brammall in the shop has info which I gave him and probably some photos.

Hirst and Sweeting ! Now there's a blast from the past ! Green livery if I remember rightly.

Yes, spot on - the coaches were in green livery, nicely lined-out. I think they only had two or three (no room for more in the tiny yard) and they were much in demand by local organisations etc. I remember going on an evening trip to Bolsover Castle illuminations - the Hirst & Sweeting coach was booked by the Woodland View Allotment Society. Memories...

Can anyone tell me if there was a Shaw's Coaches in Sheffield?

I have been trying to reconstruct an old photograph taken in the late 40's early 50's I would guess.

There is a coach on the photo with a glass framed sign above the windscreen which has been almost completely obliterated by damage to the picture.

I think I can make the name Shaw's Coaches on it but I am not certain.

I would love to put the name back into the picture but still unsure if it is Shaw's.

I would really appreciate some help if anyone knows of the coach company.

PopT