Elsecar advice?

We're looking to move house (currently in North Sheffield) and have found we can get more for our money less than 5 miles away from us in Barnsley. Elsecar has come up as an option, but other than the Heritage Centre we don't know much about the area. Does anyone know what Elsecar is like to live it? TIA.

Some parts are ok but steer well away from welland crescent and nearby areas

Hi. We have just moved from Stannington to Darfield for the same reason, considered both Elsecar and Hoyland common. We are enjoying the move no issues and regularly cycle up to Elsecar. There is decent restaurant at Hemmingfield 5 mins from Elsecar, a nice bar and cafe in the heritage centre grounds, decent range of shops at Corton Wood and Hoyland.

Edited by scargill

Hi. We have just moved from Stannington to Darfield for the same reason, considered both Elsecar and Hoyland common. We are enjoying the move no issues and regularly cycle up to Elsecar. There is decent restaurant at Hemmingfield 5 mins from Elsecar, a nice bar and cafe in the heritage centre grounds, decent range of shops at Corton Wood and Hoyland.

Thanks for your replies - we’ve been and had a look round and we really like the place so think it’s a definite possibility. Is it the elephant and castle in Hemmingfield? We called in there today, it was really nice ?

Thanks for your replies - we’ve been and had a look round and we really like the place so think it’s a definite possibility. Is it the elephant and castle in Hemmingfield? We called in there today, it was really nice ?

Hi, yes Becci, it was the elephant and castle.

Lived in Elsecar for 13 years and wouldn’t live anywhere else now. 24 hour Tescos at Stairfoot and Wath and ‘little’ Tesco at hoyland, open till 10 pm. New shops just been added at Cortonwood. All a few mins drive away plus 66 bus every 10 mins or so. Good GP practice, dentist and library at Hoyland. Plenty of pubs and WMC at Elsecar, Hoyland and Jump. Trains every 30 mins to Sheffield, Barnsley or Leeds. No idea what the schools are like but primary schools seems to have a good reputation.

Elsecar and Hoyland looked good for the Tour de Yorkshire (shame the ads came on when they got to the Elsecar/Hoyland bit) Heritage centre has loads of events on and the park and lake are lovely any time of year. Wentworth village and garden centre just 5 mins up the road. There’s a proper village feel to it.

What’s not to like?

I moved to Wombwell nearly a year ago after 25 years in Sheffield for exactly the same reason. Twice the house for half the money. I still work in Sheffield but it only takes 20 minutes to get to work, it used to take me 30 minutes to drive 2 miles while I was there.

The elephant and castle is an amazing pub the food is out of this world.

Wombwell has 10+ pubs all with in 5 minutes of each other, plus the convenience of the shops at Corton wood. Its a bit like Meadowhall retail park and Parkgate combined

Elsecar is a lovely place, great park, decent pubs, (The market pub is fab) the Heritage centre has something going off most weekends, Wentworth is just around the corner

Only one downside. its a bugger when it snows! it is in a steep valley.

One of my close friends lives in Wombwell, and it really does seem to be a very friendly and open little community. I need to move for health reasons in the near future, and if my OH drove I'd move out there for a lot more house for my money, but sadly it's not an option for us. The big hill between Hoyland and Elsecar is a real git in winter.

On 20/05/2018 at 12:29, rudds1 said:

Some parts are ok but steer well away from welland crescent and nearby areas

Has the area around Welland Crescent improved at all? Apparently some money was spent making improvements around there.