Organ Donor Regulations in Wales - Rest of UK?

If this policy became UK-wide...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If this policy became UK-wide...

• If you're already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're already registered, would you "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you NOT "Opt Out"
    • If you're not already registered, would you "Opt Out"

The organ donation rules have changed in Wales today - they have now moved to an "Opt-Out" system, so if you don't want to be an organ donor, you have to register that wish, instead of registering a donor card....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34964382

Will this system be adopted in the rest of the country in a bid to increase organ donation??

The organ donation rules have changed in Wales today - they have now moved to an "Opt-Out" system, so if you don't want to be an organ donor, you have to register that wish, instead of registering a donor card....

Will this system be adopted in the rest of the country in a bid to increase organ donation??

I sincerely hope not. My body is mine to choose what to do with - not for the Govt to assume it's something that they can just take unless I object.

For the record - I am a donor but if this comes in in the UK I won't be for very long after.

I think it's a great idea.

---------- Post added 01-12-2015 at 16:29 ----------

I sincerely hope not. My body is mine to choose what to do with - not for the Govt to assume it's something that they can just take unless I object.

For the record - I am a donor but if this comes in in the UK I won't be for very long after.

So your protest will be to remove yourself from the donor register?

Plus, they'll wait until you're dead before removing organs.

Edited by SnailyBoy

It's a good idea. Nobody who's dead needs their organs, but there are plenty of alive people that do. So any way the facilitates more organs becoming available is a good thing in my book.

Ok, just added a poll for people to indicate their preference..... :) :)

If it's shown to produce an increase in the number of organs available for donation, then yes.

If not, no.

Ok, just added a poll for people to indicate their preference..... :) :)

Oh Carol......I think you`ve worded that poll a little complicated.

I don't see a problem. If the boot was on the other foot, and any of us needed a transplant, we would be begging for this to be implemented. It's easy too think of it in a morbid fashion, but at the end of the day, a dead body does not need a liver that could give someone another few years.

Oh Carol......I think you`ve worded that poll a little complicated.

Lol yes I am confudled lol

I've been on the register ever since it started, but they wouldn't have any of my organs or blood now because of my illnesses. I'm all for the presumption of consent as long as relatives can still opt out if they really believe that the person dying would not have consented themselves.

I've been on the register ever since it started, but they wouldn't have any of my organs or blood now because of my illnesses. I'm all for the presumption of consent as long as relatives can still opt out if they really believe that the person dying would not have consented themselves.

If I remember correctly, at the moment relatives can opt out of a donation even if the deceased was on the organ donation register. So I can't imagine that changing.

Wonder how long it will take for the first scandal to break where it turns out a hospital has been removing organs from people who have died but not opted out and selling them.