Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

Passed my test in 1982 with a bloke called Ted Wood & drove his 950cc fiesta. Failed twice at Handsworth & passed at Manor Top after breaking speed limit to get there as I was driving around Handsworth & he forgot I was at the Manor centre for the test. lessons was £5 / hour to start & finished at £6/hour ......always got more than a hour each lesson.

They should have paid you to drive that piece of tosh! :D

The Ferraris were both booked up so had the fiesta.

The Ferraris were both booked up so had the fiesta.

A Ferrari on the Manor Top??? :D

Now that would be fun!

You aint jokin ..........:hihi:

me and my bro passed 1st time in the mid 80s

with a guy called shawn barton from stannington

he use to look like elton john :hihi:

think hes gone to live in portugal now

his car reg used to be THE41S:D

Passed my test in 1982 with a bloke called Ted Wood & drove his 950cc fiesta. Failed twice at Handsworth & passed at Manor Top after breaking speed limit to get there as I was driving around Handsworth & he forgot I was at the Manor centre for the test. lessons was £5 / hour to start & finished at £6/hour ......always got more than a hour each lesson.

that man was my dad! i had the ferraris then...................

and yes, he always gave more than an hour to EVERYONE, that's why we had to go to bloody butlin's for holidays while the other instructor's families went to Spain or somewhere exotic (for those days!)!

he really enjoyed it tho, and I passed first time so can't complain!

that man was my dad! i had the ferraris then...................

and yes, he always gave more than an hour to EVERYONE, that's why we had to go to bloody butlin's for holidays while the other instructor's families went to Spain or somewhere exotic (for those days!)!

he really enjoyed it tho, and I passed first time so can't complain!

er, sorry.

correction.

IS my dad. sorry, pops.

I had driving lessons with ERIC ABBEY he never advertised word of mouth was his way of getting customers.i remember the first lesson it was a mini to my horror it was not duel controlled,Erics reply was i,am not learning to drive so he did,nt need any controls.I was in my 30s when i learnt to drive,but thanks to the best instructor ever,. i passed 1st time.All the family son,s son,s girlfriends were taught by Eric.Ithink his son also went on to be a Driving instructor anyone else taught by Eric?

I learned with Dennis Crawshaw over in Stocksbridge about 20 years ago, no surprise then that my hill starts and clutch control are good. He changed to a diesel car part way through my lessons and informed me that you couldn't stall a diesel, I soon proved him wrong hehe. Seriously though he was a very good and patient instructor, a credit to his profession.

me and my bro passed 1st time in the mid 80s

with a guy called shawn barton from stannington

he use to look like elton john :hihi:

think hes gone to live in portugal now

his car reg used to be THE41S:D

I think his father was Bill Barton who used to run Roxy School of Motoring. He taught most of my family and friends, most passing first time. I believe he also taught Martin Woodward to be an Instructor, who set up his own school in '73, whose name I now work under.

I think his father was Bill Barton who used to run Roxy School of Motoring. He taught most of my family and friends, most passing first time. I believe he also taught Martin Woodward to be an Instructor, who set up his own school in '73, whose name I now work under.

yes you are 100% right it was roxy som :D

I learnt to drive in 1969 at Broomhill Driving School who had (so I was told) acquired the first 2 Datsuns ( now Nissan) to be imported into Britain they retailed at £888 on the road !!!

I can't remember the instructors name but his wife was a hairdresser. During one lesson he told me to"pull over to the left and stop" he then leaned back in his seat and , with a sigh, said " Christ I'm tired I've shampooed 3 this morning".

My test was at Sharrow Lane and as we moved off the examiner told me to take the next left , but I turned RIGHT ! We ended up driving up narrow alleys and lanes between London Road and Sharrow to get back onto his scheduled route ....BUT I passed first time.

That afternoon I went out and ordered my first new vehicle a new Hillman Imp van in dark blue , FWE 637J. I got it from Highfield Motors on London Road and it cost me £545 on the road.