Tram Trains thread

That new tram train not connecting directly with MH interchange shows a poor lazy solution making things harder for some travelers on the new line, (to me MH and hilsborough look and feel more like an intchange than in city centre). Not everyone travels on the new line to go to meadowhall south, ikea, or cineworld.

As there is no "...intent to mislead" in order to disadvantage a consumer and that Supertram is operating a "...loyalty schemes run on an open-ended basis", there is no breaking of anything.

Your quotes are not from any Law or Code, mine are.

Significant sections from section 08 Promotional marketing of the ASA CAP are:

8.17.4a

I have several cards with promotional offers with no closing date. However both B&Q and Thornbridge cards were withdrawn recently with notices in the shop/pub and being told by staff.

Perhaps the current operation of the 26-30 railcard scheme deserves more attention.

Actually Annie, my quotes are from the exact same sections of the code as yours are ??

Actually Annie, my quotes are from the exact same sections of the code as yours are ??

Your quotes do not come from section 08 Promotional marketing of the ASA Code (8.17, 8.17.4 and 8.17.4a).

They come from Promotional savings claims - Advice online and " This advice is given by the CAP Executive about non-broadcast advertising. It does not constitute legal advice. It does not bind CAP, CAP advisory panels or the Advertising Standards Authority."

The word "marketer" does not appear in Section 08 of the Code.

There have been no changes to Section 08 of the Code since 2010. Register of CAP Code changes.

Your quotes are from 2018.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

If they are introducing a new ticket, and this promotional period is time limited then they are breaking both the law and the advertising standards authority guidelines as “marketers will [likely] need to state when the introductory offer will end.” and this is probably relevant “Closing dates are listed in rule 8.17 as being a significant condition which ought to be included in marketing communications where not doing so could be misleading.“

If you read the leaflet Supertram publish there is an end date. A random person on a forum being helpful is not official marketing.

It's not a new ticket either, simply offering more travel on an existing ticket fora promotional period

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 19:58 ----------

That new tram train not connecting directly with MH interchange shows a poor lazy solution making things harder for some travelers on the new line, (to me MH and hilsborough look and feel more like an intchange than in city centre). Not everyone travels on the new line to go to meadowhall south, ikea, or cineworld.

The Yellow route tram and Northern Rail already provide links to Meadowhall Interchange from all but one tram-train stops.

Edited by Andy C

Notices have been posted up at the tram stops today advising of timetable changes to all routes (Blue, Yellow & Purple) with effect from 25/10/18. The notices state that in some cases this is necessary to accommodate the Tram Trains, in other cases it's to improve punctuality.

I have no idea though of exactly what these changes (applicable from Thursday next week) might be, because the notices ask customers to access the details via http://www.supertram.com - yet the new timetables don't seem to be available on that website at the moment...

Edited by GleadlessLad

Notices have been posted up at the tram stops today advising of timetable changes to all routes (Blue, Yellow & Purple) with effect from 25/10/18. The notices state that in some cases this is necessary to accommodate the Tram Trains, in other cases it's to improve punctuality.

I have no idea though of exactly what these changes (applicable from Thursday next week) might be, because the notices ask customers to access the details via http://www.supertram.com - yet the new timetables don't seem to be available on that website at the moment...

Looking at the new timetable guides, it would appear that the Purple Route will no longer run through to Meadowhall as this has disappeared from the network map - and is mentioned as having a "route and timetable" change from 25th October 2018.

One thing I'd like to know is where is "Rotherham Parkgate" - there is no such area! It's like calling Meadowhall, "Sheffield Meadowhall" :loopy::loopy::hihi::hihi:

Looking at the new timetable guides, it would appear that the Purple Route will no longer run through to Meadowhall as this has disappeared from the network map - and is mentioned as having a "route and timetable" change from 25th October 2018.

One thing I'd like to know is where is "Rotherham Parkgate" - there is no such area! It's like calling Meadowhall, "Sheffield Meadowhall" :loopy::loopy::hihi::hihi:

You will be glad to know the official Network Rail name is Parkgate , code PAQ.

Parkgate is a suburb of Rotherham and to outsiders having the prefix Rotherham on the TT leaves no doubt to people from around the country where the location is.

It joins the countless number of stations around the country which are geographically inaccurate, ambiguous or plain wrong. e.g.

Ask for a ticket at Sheffield station for Middlewood and you will find yourself at a station 25 miles away, with no road access after a journey of up to 3 hours.

Purple route trams don't run to Meadowhall except on Sundays and BHs.

If you read the leaflet Supertram publish there is an end date. A random person on a forum being helpful is not official marketing.

It's not a new ticket either, simply offering more travel on an existing ticket fora promotional period

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 19:58 ----------

The Yellow route tram and Northern Rail already provide links to Meadowhall Interchange from all but one tram-train stops.

Apologies Andy - I was referring to the leaflet and I hadn’t noticed it was on there! 27th April 2019!

Have they taken away the old fares list and replaced it or are they still displaying the announcement of the increases and the old ones?

If they are making changes to improve punctuality (not those to accommodate the tram train) does this mean the last changes were ineffective?

Have they taken away the old fares list and replaced it or are they still displaying the announcement of the increases and the old ones?

If they are making changes to improve punctuality (not those to accommodate the tram train) does this mean the last changes were ineffective?

I didn't look re. the fares list - I did notice though that it seems apparent that the Purple Route will no longer be running to Meadowhall on those days which it currently does (Suns & BHs) - presumably folk travelling towards town on the Purple Route will be expected to change in town for Meadowhall on Suns & BHs, as they do at the moment on weekdays & Sats.

Re. punctuality, the notices state that Purple trams will be leaving Herdings & Gleadless earlier on weekdays with a comment about this being due to traffic - hence seems to make it clear that this is to improve punctuality. Therefore, yes I'm guessing that the January timetable revision wasn't too effective re. punctuality improvements for that route? This supposition has certainly been borne out by experience, I use this route to & from work & things have been no better at all since the January changes were made to the timings for that service.

The Yellow and blue changes are literally the odd minute around cathedral and Tinsley so they aren't at junctions at the same time as tram train which could cause delays.

The current Purple benefits from long layover at Herdings so can be relied upon for a right time start but there are some morning peak trams that regularly get stuck in traffic around Gleadless, Manor Top and City Road so will be leaving Herdings 3 mins earlier, arriving in town at the same time.

The Sunday extension to Meadowhall had a purpose of supplementing the Yellow route at busy shopping times, the tram train takes over that role.

The new times should be in the online journey planner.

The new times should be in the online journey planner.

Thanks Andy - however Supertram's journey planner continues to show the current Purple Route tram times from Herdings for weekday travel dates on & after 25th October hence it seems apparent that the journey planner hasn't yet been updated?

Incidentally the Purple tram towards town (due at Townend at 07:24) often doesn't appear at the top of the hill just after the Leighton Rd stop until at or after that time, despite usually only light traffic at that time in the morning. On some occasions I've boarded this service at Herdings Park & the tram's departed from the terminus several minutes late, despite having arrived there on time i.e. several minutes prior to the time it's due out. So while it seems to be a good idea to bring forward the departure time to allow for traffic, I still wonder whether Supertram will actually provide a service in accordance with their timetable?

Edited by GleadlessLad