Royal Hospital West Street

Hi everyone,

I retire from nursing next month after 45 years working in the NHS. Got me thinking about the good old days. I trained mainly at the Royal Hospital in 1973 and then worked on Norfolk ward on nights when qualified. Anyone around who might have worked then. I moved up to the Hallamshire when RH closed in 1978 and worked there since in different areas

Pam Bower (nee Carnall) :)

I worked at the Royal Hospital as a pre nursing student at the beginning of 1978 on the notes despatch desk within the outpatients department. God it was cold - being based by the main doors.

I remember working with 2 lovely ladies called Audrey and Rose.

Great to hear from you I worked in medical records at the Royal when I did pre nursing but that was back in1972. Cant remember who the staff were though. Long time ago lol.

I know but it's stuck in my mind because I enjoyed the course so much.

Wasn't medical records up an extremely steep flight of stairs into the roof of outpatients ?

Don't know I had got into my head that it was on the main corridor. I worked on Norfolk ward when I qualified and moved up to the Hallamshire when it closed. They were such good times then everyone knew each other and it was just like a little family

My auntie Florence ran the laundry there and at the Infirmary

My auntie Florence ran the laundry there and at the Infirmary

Nightingale?:)

I bumped my head at the lido in Millhouses park. I had to visit the Royal and got diagnosed with concussion they kept me in for a couple of days can't remember what Ward tho.

I was at the Royal in 1973. I started there as a Pupil Nurse on Littlewood ward - women’s orthopaedics. It was hard work - very heavy & long unsocial hours. Then I moved to Bingham ward - Opthalmics. Training was extremely strict but it led me on to a wonderful & varied career.

As a young feller I spent best part of a week at the Royal as Children's hospital was full. I had a septic sore on my knee and antibiotics were only just being used in the early 50s so they wanted to keep an eye on things while I had the penicillin or whatever. I remember a cavernous ward with long lines of beds. After the lights went out at night, everyone started to fart. Remember telling mum and dad about it when they came to visit me and they thought it was hilarious.

I have very fond memories of the Royal Hospital and was heartbroken when they demolished it. A dear friend gave me a gift of a framed photograph of the hospital taken from West Street. I have it on my wall and I cherish it. It is good to hear that other people have appreciated the old place and yes, it did have a family atmosphere.