IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum

Live Traffic Cameras

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 20:30   #21
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher
muddycoffee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: asientos des bosques
Total Posts: 9,284
I have been viewing these cameras for a few years now, I agree that it would be great to have one at woodseats because the main road can be a terrible bottleneck and there are no cameras in the south of the city at all.

Ideally there should be one at Homebase ( chesterfield road ) and another at banner cross ( Ecclesall road / psalter lane / Ecclesall road south ).
_______
All my websites have now been deleted due to rising costs and lack of time to maintain them.
  Reply With Quote
11-01-2010, 00:11   #22
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee View Post
I have been viewing these cameras for a few years now, I agree that it would be great to have one at woodseats because the main road can be a terrible bottleneck and there are no cameras in the south of the city at all.

Ideally there should be one at Homebase ( chesterfield road ) and another at banner cross ( Ecclesall road / psalter lane / Ecclesall road south ).
The cameras are put at strategic locations so that when there is a problem, the Traffic Control team can see what's happening and change signal timings to help things along. They like to be able to see the actual signals they are "tweaking", that's the idea of having a camera, it's not just so members of the public can keep an eye on the jams, that's an incidental benefit. If memory serves me correctly it costs around 20k to put a camera up and UTC don't have much of a budget, so they tend to get put in as part of larger schemes.

I don't think that Homebase is a very strategic location, can't see those signals causing any queues. Not sure about Psalter Lane either.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
  Reply With Quote
11-01-2010, 00:12   #23
BENC
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Total Posts: 279
These cams are brill as they have all the roads on which take me to work so i know if i can venture out or not
  Reply With Quote
11-01-2010, 00:16   #24
Michael_N
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between S1 & S66
Total Posts: 1,349
One area, besides Woodseats as mentioned above, that I've always found odd that hasn't had one in place is Hunters Bar and Leppings Lane roundabouts.

Also find it odd how Sheffield City Council would pay for 2 CCTV cameras to be built in Rotherham (Meadowhall roundabout & Aston roundabout).
  Reply With Quote
11-01-2010, 12:00   #25
Riche
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: s10
Total Posts: 1,279
What with the cold snap someone has been real helpfull to the authorities and defrosted our speed camera with a burning tyre. damaged the paint a bit but defo thawd it out.
  Reply With Quote
11-01-2010, 19:45   #26
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_N View Post
One area, besides Woodseats as mentioned above, that I've always found odd that hasn't had one in place is Hunters Bar and Leppings Lane roundabouts.

Also find it odd how Sheffield City Council would pay for 2 CCTV cameras to be built in Rotherham (Meadowhall roundabout & Aston roundabout).
There are no signals to control at Leppings Lane Roundabout, so nothing they could do if they could see that far. Nothing much they can do with the signals at Hunters Bar either.

SCC control the signals on the roundabouts at J34 and they are in fact in Sheffield I believe. The one at J31 belongs to the Highways Agency, SCC jus tget access to it.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 14:51   #27
Michael_N
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between S1 & S66
Total Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
There are no signals to control at Leppings Lane Roundabout, so nothing they could do if they could see that far. Nothing much they can do with the signals at Hunters Bar either.

SCC control the signals on the roundabouts at J34 and they are in fact in Sheffield I believe. The one at J31 belongs to the Highways Agency, SCC jus tget access to it.
Never thought of it like that, but as you say, they are only of real use, if the people watching the cameras at the UTC Centre at Carbrook can actually do something to help the traffic, such as manually taking control of the traffic lights.

Would Leppings Lane gain one however as part of the Smart Routes project, when this roundabout would be replaced by a traffic light controlled crossroads, such as the one at Whiston for instance?

Was not aware of Meadowhall Roundabout been in Sheffield, however, considering Tinsley and Blackburn are in Sheffield on that side of the M1, then this will most likely be the case. Thanks for clearing up the situation for Aston too.

Am I right in thinking that all the Rotherham traffic cameras are now also controlled from the Sheffield UTC at Carbrook? Those such as on the Sheffield Parkway and at the Whiston Crossroads for instance, along with the new VMS signs?
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 15:03   #28
Rupert_Baehr
Registered User
Rupert_Baehr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bavaria/Florida
Total Posts: 10,122
My GPS has a 'Trafficmaster' (and other services in other countries) receiver. It updates continuously and in the event that the planned route goes down a road which the cameras suggest has a problem, it re-routes me around the hold-up.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 15:04   #29
Michael_N
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between S1 & S66
Total Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
My GPS has a 'Trafficmaster' (and other services in other countries) receiver. It updates continuously and in the event that the planned route goes down a road which the cameras suggest has a problem, it re-routes me around the hold-up.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.
Are you talking about the ANPR cameras pal?
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 15:19   #30
Rupert_Baehr
Registered User
Rupert_Baehr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bavaria/Florida
Total Posts: 10,122
No. Trafficmaster cameras are the blue ones (usually have a coupple of small antennas attached). I understand that there are people sitting in rooms somewhere who supposedly monitor the traffic flow (and maybe do something about it) but the feeds from the cameras also go to a computer and are transmitted as a continuous signal in the local area.

The receiver plugs into the GPS and the GPS 'considers' the input and modifies the route accordingly.

You can find out more about them here.

I bought the receiver online (from a firm in Sheffield - Pentagon GPS) the receiver I use is a Garmin GTM12

It came with a lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster and I bought an 'add-on' lifetime subscription for Germany.

Last edited by Rupert_Baehr; 17-01-2010 at 15:38. Reason: add description of receiver and URL
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 19:09   #31
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
No. Trafficmaster cameras are the blue ones (usually have a coupple of small antennas attached). I understand that there are people sitting in rooms somewhere who supposedly monitor the traffic flow (and maybe do something about it) but the feeds from the cameras also go to a computer and are transmitted as a continuous signal in the local area.
Trafficmaster is a commercial product, it is not linked in any way with the Council's UTC equipment or their control room.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 19:25   #32
Rupert_Baehr
Registered User
Rupert_Baehr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bavaria/Florida
Total Posts: 10,122
That's a pity. - Not that Trafficmaster is a commercial project, but that there isn't some sort of link between the two.
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 19:34   #33
Captain_Scarlet
Registered User
Captain_Scarlet's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Nether Edge and its speed bumps
Total Posts: 4,173
Send a message via ICQ to Captain_Scarlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee View Post
Ideally there should be one at Homebase (Chesterfield Road) and another at Banner Cross (Ecclesall Road/Psalter Lane/ Ecclesall Road South).
The southbound jams are not caused by the Homebase junction which is triggered when vehicles exit the car park only. The problem there is the bus lanes which amputates one lane from the road and the pedestrian crossing lights in Woodseats. Also the junction with Scarsdale Road lacks the possibility to filter left early enough and the Council's blocked the couple of streets on the left probably because they disagree with initiative.
_______
Don't chip your pets, shall I chip you?
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 19:48   #34
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
That's a pity. - Not that Trafficmaster is a commercial project, but that there isn't some sort of link between the two.
Well, as trafficmaster is a commercial product, they aren't going to give their data away are they?

The Council have their own systems for journey time monitoring, incident / queue detection etc so they don't need trafficmaster data.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
  Reply With Quote
17-01-2010, 19:53   #35
Planner1
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: S10
Total Posts: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_N View Post
Would Leppings Lane gain one however as part of the Smart Routes project, when this roundabout would be replaced by a traffic light controlled crossroads, such as the one at Whiston for instance?

Was not aware of Meadowhall Roundabout been in Sheffield, however, considering Tinsley and Blackburn are in Sheffield on that side of the M1, then this will most likely be the case. Thanks for clearing up the situation for Aston too.

Am I right in thinking that all the Rotherham traffic cameras are now also controlled from the Sheffield UTC at Carbrook? Those such as on the Sheffield Parkway and at the Whiston Crossroads for instance, along with the new VMS signs?
On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.
_______
Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present.
  Reply With Quote
18-01-2010, 18:05   #36
Michael_N
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere between S1 & S66
Total Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.
Cheers for that Planner1 and yeah I thought it would have been somehow.
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2017, 11:06   #37
ENG601PM
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Total Posts: 1,473
It looks like the cameras have been taken off line for some reason. These were a fantastic help for planning journeys especially in winter weather when they could make or break a trip.

Motorways - http://www.sy-transport.co.uk/traffi...y_jam_cams.htm
Sheffield - http://www.sy-transport.co.uk/traffi...d_jam_cams.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.


Planner1, you seem to be the man in the know, it seems like a very backward step so what's the reason and will we see them come back?
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2017, 13:28   #38
alchresearch
Registered User
alchresearch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Southport
Total Posts: 30,818
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner1 View Post
They aren't "out of order", the traffic control room at the Council and the Police use them all the time.

All that has happened is that they are no longer able to share the images with the public as the server the images were housed on is now defunct and hasn't been replaced.
_______
Peugeot & Citroen Diagnostics Specialist. PM for details.
  Reply With Quote
21-12-2017, 23:27   #39
biotechpete
Registered User
biotechpete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Stockport
Total Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
From another thread:
That response doesn't make much sense though. The images are only useful if they are live or 'nearly live' feeds. The servers would have to be there to relay the images to the control rooms either way. All that's happened is that the council no longer choose to allow access to those images, or that server, via a front end web feed. If it chose to do so, the council could allow access to the the server images and a third party might then take on the front end access maintenance.
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
  Reply With Quote
01-03-2018, 12:20   #40
RJRB
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 1,993
As mentioned on other threads what has happened to this service.
Bring it back please.
The motorway cams are still available
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018