New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

Hi guys,

I am just wondering what effect you think the New Retail Quarter will have on Sheffield's economy? Do we have enough potential to compete with cities such as Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham? Will the increased supply meet demand?

I'm really interested in your views/forecasts.

Cheers

Just read in another topic about the moor and new retail qurter, I have read nothing to say there is a go ahead with this, anyone throw a bit of light on the subject

saw something about this on the council website today, you may find an answer there.

Have a look at these pages:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=311939&page=2

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=310570

They've got all the info on the projects. I'd suggest you join the site, as you can get all the info on Sheffield (and other city's) developments.

The NRQ has been approved, and Phase 1 of the Moor has been submitted for planning peermission.

The plans for the new NRQ look great but I’m pretty sure it just won’t attract enough quality retailers and will prove to be something of a flop.

Here’s why:

Sheffield is not wealthy enough to support a shopping centre of that magnitude.

The planned increase in parking spaces is insufficient. It will still be quicker, easier and cheaper to shop at Meadowhall.

Retail trends and the growth of the internet mean that more and more people are shopping online. In 5 years time more and more stores will have closed and be closing. The NRQ will introduce hundreds of thousands of extra square feet of retail space at the same time as many retailers will be looking to reduce space.

The NRQ will require a number of very high quality stores to “anchor” the quality retail aspect of the development. Sadly, insufficient high class retailers will be attracted to locate here as the city just doesn’t have the right demographic.

All in all, I think civic pride rather than economic reality was the main motivation for creating the NRQ. I’m afraid it’s all going to end in tears.

But the developers should know what they are doing as they are financing it,and i cant really see them going ahead if the figures do not add up.

I just wish they would speed the project up a bit,the developers of the Moor seam to know how to progress on a project.

I think most of your points are complete rubbish.

Of course Sheffield's wealthy to support it. Without any of the hallam being rich stuff, Sheffield already supports Meadowhall, which is about twice th size of the NRQ, and has many 'quality' retailers in it.

The parking in the NRQ isn't the only parking planned/under construction in the centre. There's 3 multi-story carparks being planned/built as part of the Moor redevelopment, a multi-story under construction by St. Pauls Place (behind the peace gardens & hotel on arundel gate), and theres one nearing completion down by Park Square.

I agree with the internet point. But I think there will alway be a ned for high street shops.

At the moment, the NRQ will be anchored by the biggest JOhn Lewis store in the North of England, and a 100,000 sqft Next store. None of the other stores are known yet (except by the developers).

Yet another 'let's do Sheffield down thread'. :rolleyes:

Can we have a yawning smilie please?

Don't sit on the fence Paulmat!

Yes, you said it - Sheffield already supports Meadowhall - fact is, there is insufficient wealth to support such a massive expansion of city centre shops.

As for parking - only 2000 extra spaces are planned - that sounds like a lot - but believe me it's paltry.

As for quality shops, they are relying on attracting the kind of stores you see in Bond St and Knightsbridge (the so called "quality" shops in Meadowhall do not qualify) - if Manchester and Leeds are having difficulty attracting them how on earth will Sheffield?

Oh, and have you tried driving to the city centre lately? Presumably the council have a plan for getting people out of their cars and into Park n Ride, but shoppers WON'T do that!

^^Yes I have tried driving to the city centre recently, and generally find it pretty easy, although I mostly use public transport. 2000 spaces is a lot more than what's currently there. And obviously were not gonna attract the 'quality' shops that even Leeds and Manchester can't.

Anywho. The only way to tell will be to wait and see.

sheffield will suport the nrq i know theres a lot of anticipation for it