Decent dash cam?

In the last month we have had 2 near misses from a big white BMW X5 overtaking at 60+ in a 30 zone on Bradway Road and a black Range Rover on Woodcliffe/Quiet Lane ignored the give way and driving straight at us pushing the car in to the verge

The police couldnt do anything "without evidence", so time for a dash cam methinks - so many choices from £30/£40 but what is half decent these days?

thanks

I'd say road hawk as these are fitted in all company vehicles but don't know if they do them in 12 volt. Avoid the cheap nasty ones from China etc on eBay. Have a look in say halfords and read the reviews of any particular one you like

Thansk rudds, Roadhawk seem good but pretty pricey - maybe we need ot up the budget, my insurance is due soon so if it gets us a discount might be worth spending a bit more

tempted by the Motorola ones in Argos at £45 mind

Nextbase or Vantrue are really good entry level makes. Always have a look online at user reviews to see how good the low light or night modes are.

The Argos Motorola one looks nice, but could it just be a rebadged product? Motorola aren't generally known for their dashcams - more mobile phones. I have a Moto G phone and the camera is rubbish in low light, so make of that what you will!

Nextbase do some decent higher end ones too, might see if I can go with the 512 as you can buy an add-on camera for the rear as well.

Quite a few of the cheap eBay camera's are alrite, they do fairly decent image quality.

the G1W cameras were always pretty cheap and cheerful.

They fall down on low-light image capability though, so should anything happen at night you're less likely to be able to read a number plate.

I use a Nextbase 312gw which seemed to offer the best value for money whilst providing a decent wide angle lens and excellent image quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-312GW-Full-1080p-Black/dp/B01ELRJW5Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539617850&sr=8-3&keywords=nextbase+312gw

I also bought the hardwire kit and it took about 15 minutes to hardwire it into the car, the dashcam, hardwire kit and 32GB micro SD card came to around £115 which whilst a bit more expensive than some, offers much better quality, especially in low light.