Dangerous junction S2

Does anyone know who to contact if you want to know then exact meaning of a road sign that shows 'No Right Turn' plus 'except buses' .

I refer to the crossroads between Queens Rd and Myrtle Rd which has such a sign approaching from Shoreham St .

I regularly see taxis and ordinary cars and even cyclists using this option . They have to wait till the last minute , between light changes, before turning right . I have seen several near accidents here . My question is who do I contact to see if this junction can have camera installed , as was done round the corner on Asline Rd , joining London Rd?

Edited by radio_peter

On the 'contact us' bit of the SCC website there are several options for asking a question, making a suggestion or making a complaint.

Or if phoning they have a highways dept.

On the type of sign you describe it usually allows buses taxis and cyclists but not other vehicles, but that is probably not the issue you are referring to.

Edited by Janus

Does anyone know who to contact if you want to know then exact meaning of a road sign that shows 'No Right Turn' plus 'except buses' .

I refer to the crossroads between Queens Rd and Myrtle Rd which has such a sign approaching from Shoreham St .

I regularly see taxis and ordinary cars and even cyclists using this option . They have to wait till the last minute , between light changes, before turning right . I have seen several near accidents here . My question is who do I contact to see if this junction can have camera installed , as was done round the corner on Asline Rd , joining London Rd?

Taxis and private hire are exempt from the restriction, as are cycles.

Safety cameras are only put in at sites which have a poor injury accident record. South Yorkshire Safety Camera Parnership are responsible for placing safety cameras. The accident records for all sites are closely monitored, so it would be picked up if there was an accident problem at that site.

Edited by Planner1

Does that still apply even if it only states "except buses"? I only ask as there are many signs that actually state, for example, "except buses and taxis" etc!

Safety cameras are only put in at sites which have a poor injury accident record. South Yorkshire Safety Camera Parnership are responsible for placing safety cameras. The accident records for all sites are closely monitored, so it would be picked up if there was an accident problem at that site.

But there's still no harm in raising it. I raised the issue of the junction of Bramhall Lane, Cherry Street and Hill Street since in the year I lived round there I saw 3 serious accidents and have previously been hit by someone pulling out from Hill Street. Incidentally there are no safety cameras at this site but they were aware of it as something to be looked at 2018/2019.

They do reply and will give you some info too, don't let Planner1 put you off from enquiring.

There's one every other week, often involving a taxi late nights on weekends. It's been a bad accident spot for forty years that I know of.

I was at that junction a couple of months back and I thought the coordination of the light timings was a bit dicey.

Does that still apply even if it only states "except buses"? I only ask as there are many signs that actually state, for example, "except buses and taxis" etc!

Yes it does.

The other types of vehicle are exempted in the traffic regulation order. I checked after seeing taxis use it.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 03:25 ----------

I was at that junction a couple of months back and I thought the coordination of the light timings was a bit dicey.

What exactly do you mean by "a bit dicey"?

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 03:40 ----------

There's one every other week, often involving a taxi late nights on weekends. It's been a bad accident spot for forty years that I know of.

I drive through it quite often and haven't seen anything lately.

There is a known accident problem at that junction involving red light running on Queens Rd. That's why there is a red light camera at that location.

The ones that any decisions on remedial measures are based on are injury accidents only. Mostly nowadays the authorities are interested in collisions involving serious injuries ( broken bones, hospitalisation) or fatalities. Damage only collisions aren't recorded.

Does anyone know if the lights, when travelling along Queens road, stay on amber for less time than normal, because the few times I have traveled down there I have had the impression that they change too fast ?

Does anyone know if the lights, when travelling along Queens road, stay on amber for less time than normal, because the few times I have traveled down there I have had the impression that they change too fast ?

The Amber period on all traffic signals in the uk is fixed. It never varies.

What can be different from location to location is the intergreen period which is the time from losing green on one approach to gaining green on an opposing approach. This is set in the original configuration of the signal controller and never varies.

The Amber period on all traffic signals in the uk is fixed. It never varies..

Planner1,

As a matter of interest, how long is it ?