Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Drivers on the Stocksbridge bypass

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 05:11   #41
Hook
Registered User
Hook's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Oughtibridge
Total Posts: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
50 yrs without a blameworthy accident is good enough for me, 41 of them as a professional.
Meanwhile if you looked in your rear view mirror you’d see a trail of death and destruction you’d left behind you. IMO professional drivers are some of the worst because they get lazy and complacent*.


*please note I said *some* and not *all* or everybody or even most!
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 05:29   #42
Groose
Geek Girl
Groose's Avatar
 
Moderator
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hyrule
Total Posts: 13,835
The bickering is to cease.
_______
Armchair Owl
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 07:24   #43
Cyclone
Registered User
Cyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Wadlsey
Total Posts: 71,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Speed kills, 40ish is plenty fast enough for me, poor driver, atrocious driver, no, safe driver yes...….
You're driving badly and claiming that it's a demonstration of driving skill.
It'd be funny if there weren't quite so many drivers who do the same.

Speed clearly doesn't kill, this is a stupid saying. Rapid deceleration and having bits of broken car poked holes in you kills. Speed does nothing to you at all.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 08:58   #44
Blue Day
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Total Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
"Never had an accident..seen plenty"
In the rear view mirror
_______
It goes on and on and on and on..........
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 10:10   #45
geared
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 13,320
Stubborn old man claims to be the best driver on the road, never heard that one before
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 10:55   #46
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
Stubborn old man claims to be the best driver on the road, never heard that one before
Some very impatient drivers on this thread. (cue Joker)
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:10   #47
alchresearch
Registered User
alchresearch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Southport
Total Posts: 30,795
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Some very impatient drivers on this thread. (cue Joker)
Have you never considered that so many have questioned your driving (myself included on another thread) that you might be the problem?

If you can't or won't drive to the limit of the road when the conditions allow then please use other roads where the limit is set to your ability - i.e. 30mph.

You're the type who probably does 50 on motorways (no doubt because you remember the phrase "50 is thrifty") and forces lorries into the second lane.
_______
Peugeot & Citroen Diagnostics Specialist. PM for details.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:13   #48
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
You're driving badly and claiming that it's a demonstration of driving skill.
It'd be funny if there weren't quite so many drivers who do the same.

Speed clearly doesn't kill, this is a stupid saying. Rapid deceleration and having bits of broken car poked holes in you kills. Speed does nothing to you at all.
Funny thing is, Cyclone, 18months ago I had a rant on here, I was caught speeding at 32mph. I went on a speed awareness course, and everything I learnt seems to refute what you post.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:23   #49
InigoMontoya
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
You are if you habitually drive at 20% under the speed limit for no good reason.

At least IMO (and that of the driving test) driving under the speed limit for no good reason is a fault.

---------- Post added 30-08-2018 at 10:12 ----------



So did I, 22 years ago now and I can still remember it. The examiner asked me afterwards why I didn't accelerate to 70mph on the dual carriageway, I think I did 60 as I was actually worried that doing 70 would somehow be 'too fast'...
The speed limit is exactly that - it's not a target.

Just because it's legal to drive at that speed it doesn't mean you should.

Take into account all road conditions including weather and visibity.

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
You're driving badly and claiming that it's a demonstration of driving skill.
It'd be funny if there weren't quite so many drivers who do the same.

Speed clearly doesn't kill, this is a stupid saying. Rapid deceleration and having bits of broken car poked holes in you kills. Speed does nothing to you at all.

Speed kills.

Your reaction time isn't diminished, but the distance your vehicle travels is greater, and you're travelling with a greater momentum for the same distance.

Speed kills, QED
_______
A hyena dancing on the grave of a lion
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:34   #50
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchresearch View Post
Have you never considered that so many have questioned your driving (myself included on another thread) that you might be the problem?

If you can't or won't drive to the limit of the road when the conditions allow then please use other roads where the limit is set to your ability - i.e. 30mph.

You're the type who probably does 50 on motorways (no doubt because you remember the phrase "50 is thrifty") and forces lorries into the second lane.
Alchey, your right, I"m disappointed no one seems to agree with me, and I will say quite categoricaly there is nothing wrong with driving at 50 on a motorway.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:42   #51
realcockney
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Alchey, your right, I"m disappointed no one seems to agree with me, and I will say quite categoricaly there is nothing wrong with driving at 50 on a motorway.
driving at 50mph on a motorway designed for vehicles to exceed that speed is dangerous, even hgvs drive at 58mph where possible. 70mph now is too low and a police officer is likely to pull you over if you are hindering (driving at 50) other vehicles making good progress and rightly so! this is some of the reasons motorways get tailbacks.

was this you padders?? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-50mph-6382146

Last edited by realcockney; 04-09-2018 at 11:53.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:55   #52
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcockney View Post
driving at 50mph on a motorway designed for vehicles to exceed that speed is dangerous, even hgvs drive at 58mph where possible. 70mph now is too low and a police officer is likely to pull you over if you are hindering (driving at 50) other vehicles making good progress and rightly so! this is some of the reasons motorways get tailbacks.
So why don"t we have a minimum speed limit on motorways, if, as you state 50 is dangerous, lets have a minimum speed limit of 60.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 11:58   #53
realcockney
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
So why don"t we have a minimum speed limit on motorways, if, as you state 50 is dangerous, lets have a minimum speed limit of 60.
its impossible to set a minimum limit when weather, traffic and terrain sometimes dictate speed. i get that sometimes you may have to drive at 30,40 etc but when the road conditions and traffic is clear and flowing drivers should be at or very near to the max to help movement and flow.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:02   #54
Padders
Registered User
Padders's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Total Posts: 11,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcockney View Post
driving at 50mph on a motorway designed for vehicles to exceed that speed is dangerous, even hgvs drive at 58mph where possible. 70mph now is too low and a police officer is likely to pull you over if you are hindering (driving at 50) other vehicles making good progress and rightly so! this is some of the reasons motorways get tailbacks.

was this you padders?? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-50mph-6382146


Congratulations Cockney, you"ve proved your point, I can"t believe it, I will have to change my driving habits, enjoyed the debate though
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:20   #55
realcockney
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
[/B]

Congratulations Cockney, you"ve proved your point, I can"t believe it, I will have to change my driving habits, enjoyed the debate though
you're welcome
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:22   #56
Blue Day
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Total Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padders View Post
Alchey, your right, I"m disappointed no one seems to agree with me, and I will say quite categoricaly there is nothing wrong with driving at 50 on a motorway.
As a lorry driver of some 30 years I’d disagree with you.
_______
It goes on and on and on and on..........
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:38   #57
Crissie
Registered User
Crissie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Total Posts: 29
Aggressive driving, intolerance and a lack of anticipation are far more dangerous than driving below the speed limit. On my daily commute I can knock 6 minutes off an hour-and-a-quarter’s commute each way if I really cane it. If I was a ‘better’ driver I’m sure I could hurtle past the slower stuff every day, but I could never justify the associated risk and I don’t need that 6 minutes badly enough, so have learned to be patient, and tag along behind the slower cyclists, trucks and caravans until it’s safe to pass. I enjoy the drive much more this way, and arrive relaxed and ready.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:47   #58
realcockney
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Total Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissie View Post
Aggressive driving, intolerance and a lack of anticipation are far more dangerous than driving below the speed limit. On my daily commute I can knock 6 minutes off an hour-and-a-quarter’s commute each way if I really cane it. If I was a ‘better’ driver I’m sure I could hurtle past the slower stuff every day, but I could never justify the associated risk and I don’t need that 6 minutes badly enough, so have learned to be patient, and tag along behind the slower cyclists, trucks and caravans until it’s safe to pass. I enjoy the drive much more this way, and arrive relaxed and ready.
its not a case of caning it or aggressive driving its as you also said anticipation and patience but its also making good progress, you may enjoy pootling along enjoying the scenery but there will be frustrated drivers which are also a problem behind you? the key is making good progress not dawdling.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 12:54   #59
Crissie
Registered User
Crissie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Total Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcockney View Post
its not a case of caning it or aggressive driving its as you also said anticipation and patience but its also making good progress, you may enjoy pootling along enjoying the scenery but there will be frustrated drivers which are also a problem behind you? the key is making good progress not dawdling.
No, the real key is Safety - Safety to myself and Safety to those around me. Choosing to overtake the slower traffic in front of me before it's safe, for the benefit of those behind me, is never going to happen.
  Reply With Quote
04-09-2018, 15:32   #60
geared
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Total Posts: 13,320
Well you certainly can't be driving in the city if you're appreciating the scenery
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018